June 15th age 13

"Okay," One whispers, careful to not wake Zoey up, "It's time to get out." 

We've been driving all night. We're in front of a two story house, that sort of resembles my house, except hedges surround it and there's a big black gate in front. And it looks far older. It's raining. 

She wakes up anyways. Next to me, she opens her eyes wide, rubs them, opens them again, and smiles. 

"Hello," Two says gently, "Good morning."  

Zoey yawns. "Good morning." 

And then she looks at me and says "Did Daddy really die last night?"

I realize she was smiling while Max died because she went into denial, a dreamlike state. That doesn't make it any better for me, but...

"Yes." I look away. 

I can feel the car start shaking with the force of her vibrating body.

"And Mommy," I add, "Mommy killed herself when Daddy died."

The vibration gets stronger, and soon I hear high-pitched screaming. This is unlike anything I've ever had to deal with. One and Two get out of the car and come around back to try and console Zoey. But I realize, only I can. Only I have seen Max display some sort of coping method. 

I sing, in a soft voice, with an uplifting, comforting tone. "There is no me, there is no you, we're all just one, no me no you, we are all one, we keep us safe, we're all so brave, when we're all one, no me no you..." 

And then I repeat until she catches it. She walks past One and Two, heading toward the gate, stomping in puddles, dancing around, singing "No me no you, mo ne yo ooh, haha, ha ha..."

I get out of the car as well. Then, with a surprising amount of trust and no anger, I put my head into One's chest. "I know it was an accident...but why did you have to take us away at all? And how did my father know you?" 

One bows his head so his chin touches the top of my head. I do not move.  

Two bites his lower lip. "Can we explain once we're inside?"