Chapter 1

She sprinted down the woody ground covered with grass and tree branches. Not looking back, and knowing that her predator would never catch up to her. She was out and nothing could ever stop her, except the scent of the sweet scarlet blood of Zander Merlotte. Esme didn’t care too much about who he was, and his appearance, though he was attractive. All Esme could imagine her self, is darting to him in a spark of an eye, and placing her cold fangs to his warm, blood- flowing, body and taste his sweet, sweet smelling blood. ‘No’ she thought to herself. She didn’t want to do it. She knew what would happened if she was within him. She wouldn’t be able to control herself. She knew it, because she couldn’t even control the thirst for Zander’s blood. His blood tormented her, his heart pumped the blood she wanted.

However, she didn’t want to be selfish. Esme didn’t want to haul him into a life of inconvenience and repulsion. Esme had seen it all with her clan, Vengitis, their personality said it all to the name, vengeance.  She evoked the memory of the battles she had fought in with them. Even seeing some of her closest friends die, even her best friend, Vallory Tild, beheaded and up in flames. Esme remembers looking up at the smoke that came from her friend. She sat around the fire until, it was gone. By then Vallory had already evaporated. However, Esme still sat there, and honored the life of her friend, the cold ones never got tired, not even for one bit. They don’t sleep.

They lurk out at night when all the humans are tucked in asleep. This was another memory Esme was touchy on, her human life she sometimes wish she had back. She had immortality, but a life of a vampire was never what she wanted. Especially, to evoked into a clan that expected you to kill merciless. Anyways, they weren’t afraid of exposing them self to the humans, but Valor, the main leader of all clans, wanted us to keep a secret. He was afraid that the humans would kill them, and drive them out. Esme was afraid of her ex own kind, though she was a vampire. Deep down Esme wondered why we were scared of humans. Vampires made no threat to them.

Valor he was brutal but wise. He controlled all clans, and they had to follow him. Valor was the more pale than the rest of us, and his eyes glowed red. His jet black hair fell to his shoulders. The day Esme had joined the clan they had told her stories about Valor. Stories that Esme herself wish not to tell her children, though she knew she would never have any. Valor had powers that every vampire wish to have. His eyes shouted out, ‘Challenge me if you dear.’ In the stories, no one ever challenged him, no ever deared to try. Esme never passed that in her head. He could also read thoughts, and freeze time. However, Valor was banned by the Supremes, after he froze time, and helped an evil vampire get away. Reading thoughts wasn’t so good either. He knew good or evil, and had the ability to drive you insane.

The scent of Zander’s blood seems to have an effect on Esme’s brain. She couldn’t think. The blood played with her mind. She knew she was getting closer. She had to go far away. She just had too. She thought back of the night she was thrown in front of the Supremes. Three black dressed, paled skinned, pointy teeth unmoving vampires. They had told Esme, her fate because of something she did back then. There deep voice had bellowed in the room, “Esme, the first male you take blood from, would become your mate forever.”  Esme thought of this when she kept dashing. She jumped up to a tree branch, clutching the branch with her cold fingers. She looked across Olympia with one look, and had analyzed that Zander was a mile away.

Zander was walking down the street with his friends. His brown hair ragged and his eyes locked on anyone who was out there ready to mug him and his friends. They had been out watching a movie at their local movie theater. His friends decided to take the long way.  On the way home, they were teasing him about how he was crying and sniffling at the chick flick, his friend Ejail mocked him from the theater all the way to where his stop point from. Zander knew he wasn’t crying, it was Ejail, trying to take himself out. He didn’t bother. He enjoyed the weather and looked up at the stars that twinkled above at them. It seems to form something, he quite didn’t couldn’t recognize, but he shrugged and continued on.