16: Halloween

Halloween

Immediately after, everyone's minds left the excitement of homecoming and focused on the next upcoming holiday; Halloween. The whole school was abuzz with who they should dress up as and who is going to have the best party.

It's the custom to have five parties held in different houses across town each year. There was one party for the kids, one for the adults, and three for the high schoolers. The high school Halloween parties were always held by one football player, one cheerleader, and one other popular person. Each year the high schoolers floated between the three parties, and by the end of the week one lucky person is acknowledged as the host of the best party.

This year the parties hosts are Camden Delmore, Kylie Sue, and Brittany. Because I was homecoming queen, I was originally asked to host one of the parties, but thankfully my parents already decided that they were going to host the adult's party. So Brittany, being the princess, was asked to host. Which is a blessing because it perfectly fit into the plan Landon, Travis, and I came up with.

It was Friday night, just two days from Halloween, and I was spending it watching a Law and Order marathon snuggled up to Huntress and Shotgun. My parents were out on their usual every other week Friday date night and weren't there to bother me about studying.

Suddenly, Huntress leaps off  my lap and growls. "What is it now?" I asked exasperated (she had only just a few minutes before barked and scratched at the window at the sight of a squirrel). Her ears perked up and she let out a yelp.

"Huntress! There's nothin' there." I yelled just as the door bell rang. She gave me a superior look. "Oh, shut up."

The two followed me to the door. Huntress; wagging her tail and barking excitedly. Shotgun; his usual calm and collected self. I picked Huntress up to make sure she wouldn't be able to attack whoever was on the other side of the door. When I opened the door, I almost dropped the struggling Huntress in my arms out of surprise.

"Belle." He smiled his most charming smile.

"Travis! Uh- what are you doin' here?"

"C'mon, I'm takin' you out."

"You're what?"

I then realized that Travis looked a tad bit dressed up. He had clearly showered and was freshly shaved.

"Don't question it. Just get in the truck."

I looked around him. "Landon's?"

"Just in case anybody sees. As far as everyone thinks, you're still datin' Landon."

"You really do think of everythin', don't ya." I put Huntress down and closed the door behind me, ignoring her whines. "Alright. Let's go."

~•~•~•~

I laughed as he parked the truck. "So instead of takin' me to a party, you take me to the other side of the lake from where the party is being held."

He smirked, "I'd thought you might like it better."

"Hm. Let me think. Bein' 'round many crazy, drunk teenagers, or in a remote spot with just you. I think I prefer the latter."

"Stay right there." He smiled, before opening his door and running around the front of the truck to open mine. I blushed at the gesture and took the hand he offered.