17: Holding Back

Holding Back

I didn't want to get up. I didn't want to leave the comfort of Hunter's bed. I can't even remember when I last had a sleep so good and so refreshing. It was deep, and warm, and practically dreamless- I had decided that the one weird dream had to do with my recent lack of sleep- I wanted to curl back up and experience it again.

There was a tentative knock at the door. "Annie?" I was Jenna. "Are you up?"

I seriously thought about not responding. About closing my eyes and and welcoming sleep back with a warm embrace. But then I wouldn't be doing what is expected, and Annabelle Storm always does what is expected of her. I sat up in the bed, "yes."

Jenna opened the door and leaned against the frame. "How are you feelin'?" She asked.

I looked at her incredulously, "I'm fine. How are you? How is Maddox."

She shrugged. "I've been worse. Maddox isn't doin' so great. Parents cussed him out early this mornin'. He's grounded for a month. Pops looked like he was 'bout ready to take Maddox by the neck and shake him 'round."

I shook my head. "Landon home?"

"Yeah. He's with Travis. And Pops. In his office. They're waitin' for you, actually."

"Uh," I was suddenly nervous. "What does Dan want?"

"I don't know. Probably has to do with last night. News traveled really fast. Faster than usual... I wouldn't check your phone, by the way. In fact give it to me," she held out her hand. "So I can weed out all the things that you probably won't want to see."

I didn't even think twice before handing my phone over. I honestly didn't want to read what anyone had to say about me. Good or bad.

As Jenna took it, typed my password in (Dance), and started deleting messages, I had to choke down the flashbacks of the aftermath of sophomore homecoming.

I stood in front of the door of Dan's study. My heartbeat ringing in my ears. My nerves in an unbreakable knot in my stomach. My breathing was fast, close to hyperventilating.

Pull yourself together, Annabelle. You can't go in until you get your shit together. Breathe. Just breathe. Dan will understand. It's all gonna be okay.

I pushed the door open and peaked my head in. Dan was sitting behind his desk, hands folded, mouth in a hard line, eyes unyielding. Both Travis and Landon were standing in front of the desk. They were slouched and rocking in the balls of their feet, making them look smaller and Dan look much bigger. It was as if I had stepped into a movie scene, where two boys were sent to the principals office for doing something that disturbed the peace of the school.

They all turned their heads to look at me. "Come in, Annie." Dan said. But I couldn't move, I was frozen in place. "Annabelle," he said gently. "It's alright. You're not in trouble." I felt mmy feet move- actually, stumbled was more like it- so I was standing fully in the doorway. "Close zone the door behind you, please." I did I was told and came to a stop besides Travis.

"I just want to figure everythin' out, alright? Nobody is in trouble... yet at least. Just tell me what's goin' on." Dan looked exhausted.

The three of us looked back and at each other. We didn't know what to say, let alone where to begin.

Dan sighed. "Landon, explain your relationship with Annie."