P14: Mommy's Back

Dedicated to CamilleGoth.

"Murderer? You can't even 'rescue' anyone let alone yourself."

"There's a lot I can't do and there's a lot that I choose not to unless I have no other choice."

"Well, looks like you don't have any more choices."

"I'm sorry." I shut my eyes, focusing on the power behind my eyelids.

"Good bye, Autumn."

Opening my eyes, the laser surges forward. When I stop it, through Toby's head, I can see the ceiling. His body falls to the side. His weapon clatters on the floor. The back of his head is still smoking. I cover my nose at the putrid smell of burnt flesh. I killed him. I took someone's life. I really am a weapon.

"Since when were you able to do that?" Darren asks.

Pushing down the guilt, I crawl over to him. "That doesn't matter right now. We need to get out of here."

"But that was awesome!"

"Can we act our age for a moment?" I try unbending the metal around him.

It's easier than it should be.

"I'm sorry. Normal people don't keep developing powers after they've died."

I roll my eyes and relax. The children in the room watch me with scared eyes.

It's understandable considering I just killed their leader. My guess they're wondering what they should do now. I can understand being lost after you lose everything you relied on.

"What all do you know?" I speak over my shoulder to Darren.

"That I'm truly sorry for this."

"What--?"

Darren sticks me with a needle. Trying not to use too much of my strength, I push him away. He hits the wall. My limbs begin to grow numb. It's like I've been hit with a dart all over again.

"What did you do to me?" I slur.

"Isn't he amazing?" Dr. Daring appears as a hologram in the middle of the room.

"What did you do?" I shout.

"I cloned him. Did you really think I would make it that easy for you to get him?"

"Let him go. He has nothing to do with this!"

"Oh, but he has everything to do with this. He knows too much. We can't let a security threat like that just waltz out of our lab doors."

I slump to the floor. This drug seems to be taking a lot longer than before.

"You...you..."

Feeling like sleep is taking over, I fall over. My heart thumps slowly in my chest.

"It's oK. It's just a paralysis. It will just make sure we can keep you awake, but inactive."

I fight harder against the empty feeling the drug gives me. "I won't let you win."

"You don't have a choice, Autumn. Guards will be with you shortly. Just don't move." My dad smirks.

"No." I fight harder against the drug.

It feels like my body is humming as I grow feeling in my hands.

"You know what I find funny?" My voice sounds more stable.

He scowls. "What?"

"The teacher never realizes when the student has surpassed them until it's too late." I start standing up again.