Chapter XI The House in the Darkness

Where are they? They couldn't see anything. It's like they fell into a deep hole. They try to feel their way around the darkness but they couldn't touch anything solid. Again Grizzlebark never said anything about this abyss, or should there be a passageway here he forgot to mention? Van keeps his eyes open for a glint of light or something.

"Ouch, Alice my foot," Van groaned.

"I'm with Don Van, I got his arm."

"That's my arm Alice," Cara retorted.

"Well, it's probably..."

"Yeah that's right, blame me Van," Kirsten said harshly.

"Wait, I have a flashlight here," Don added.

Don's tactical light is powerful enough to illuminate the darkness for several feet. It's actually Don who stepped on Van's foot. Alice had grabbed Cara's arm out of fear of being left in the darkness. Kirsten is on her knees and looking clueless.

"This isn't the school ground," Don noted.

"Are you sure your feathered friend is telling the truth," Kirsten muttered to Van.

"For your information missy, our feathered friend is the one that found you in the forest," Alice mouthed.

"Is that a house," Van pointed at a ghostly structure in their far left.

"I think so Van," Cara replied.

"Let's check it out," Alice suggested, "you have a flashlight Don so lead the way."

Even when shined upon by a powerful flashlight, the house is barely visible. It looks like a faint blur in this sea of darkness. Would it be possible that it is a gateway to another place, or possibly a portal to their world being the only recognizable structure here?

Up close the house is built like an ancestral dwelling place. It reminds Van of those homes his grandparents owned in the provinces. It's made of stones and the walls are ornately carved. Two stone dogs guard the entrance.

Van remembers the annoying chess players they met in the woods. What if these two creatures suddenly come to life and goes after them? The dogs are bigger than German Shepherds and built like powerful mastiffs.

Being the biggest among them, Don puffs his chest and valiantly approaches the door. If the dogs suddenly comes to life, who knows what would become of him.

"It is safe here guys," Don said when the dogs remained inanimate. It seems that the dogs are here only for ornamental purpose. Van prods and touches them. Nothing happens.

"Excuse me," Don said as he stands before the heavy wooden door. No reply came from the owner.

"We should use the knocker," Alice suggested. The metal door knocker is carved after a bull with oversized nose ring. Cautiously she touches the knocker in case it carries a hidden curse. Again nothing happens.

"Excuse me, anyone home," Alice said as she strikes the door with the knocker. It produces a nasty sound that seems to reverberate deep into their bones. Don winces at the unpleasant noise.

"Come in," said a friendly voice of a woman.

A splendid sight meets them when they open the door. The hallway of the house is as richly decorated as the outside. The carvings on the wall are so intricate that it looks alive and organic. Statues beam at them in each corner. To complete the picture of perfection, a beautiful woman awaits them at the end of the hallway. Her stunning features are indescribable, like an artwork came to life.