Chapter XII Living in a Dream World

They feel as light as feathers when they wake up from their nap, like all of their earthly burdens are taken away. Everything around them has a different air now, and it's like they are still floating in a dream world. The dreamy sensation is further enhanced by the overwhelming beauty of their surroundings, from the house to their stunning host. And they have to pinch themselves repeatedly to check if they are now wide awake.

"Come and join me in the table," the woman called them.

"It's already dinner?" Alice asked while flattening her dishevelled hair.

"Goodness, we overslept," Van said, mildly embarrassed for their excess.

"How long did we sleep," Don then asked.

"Just long enough for you to be properly rested," the woman replied, her smile ever sweeter.

"You're being generous but..."

Van meant to say that we should go now, but his jaws seem to loose strength and freeze in mid-speech.

"Now enough of that, everyone to the table," the woman said to them gently. She ushers them to a long dinner table built for several people. She takes the seat in one end and they choose their places in either side.

"Wow, I really slept well," Kirsten yawned.

"But where is Cara," Don said after noticing the ever present Cara missing.

"She is still asleep, must be really tired."

"Well, you know the girl Alice; she is known to hibernate in weekends."

"And I thought I'm a sleepy head Van," Alice chuckled.

"Let's not disturb your friend, she will get up when she's okay," the woman smiled.

Van looks down at his plate wondering what they will be having for dinner. The woman seems to guess what is in his mind.

"Now close your eyes everyone and think of the things you love to eat," the woman explained to them, and they did just that. What Van thinks are his usual favourites like beef rice, chips and ice-cream soda. And instantly to their astonishment, food appears on their plates. Van stares at his chips and beef rice, unsure if he is still dreaming. The rest of the table is now laden with stuffs like a whole roast turkey, salads, fruits and every food one can think of.

"What will Cara say when she hears this," Don chuckled as he starts on his rather simple meal of vegetable salad. He and Kirsten are the only ones who asked for a vegetarian meal. Van and Alice sees no point on abstaining from a meaty diet now. They fill their plates with anything they can spear their forks into.

"I kind of feel sorry for Cara," Alice said after gulping a mouthful of steak.

After their satisfying dinner, the woman waves a hand and the table is cleared of left overs.

"Would you care for some music," she said, smiling over their curious faces. She conjures a skeletal looking violin made of dark hardwood.

"My mother insists that I should learn music, but I like mountains better," Alice whispered to Van.

But even Alice, who had no interest in music, is left aghast by the woman's hypnotic performance. Her skills with the violin are unmatched. Her music is so enchanting that their consciousness seems to drift in every note of the violin. The performance only lasts for a few minutes but they thoroughly enjoyed it. They show their appreciation with a loud applause.