The First Part

This month is the month I die.

"The cards don't lie, Meredith." I say to my questionable sister.

She took a deep breath and looked at Barlie, the silent one-year-old that sat in the highchair as it waited for a spoonful of gunk to be shoved in her mouth, disguised as an airplane. Meredith did the routine wait, to see if Barlie would spit it back up. As soon as the food was put into her mouth, it was shoved out as Meredith, her loving and tired mother, quickly caught the spit-up in order to save her daughters pretty white dress.

"The cards also said that you were adopted--"

"Which I still believe I am."

"--from Africa." My dim-witted sister looked at me with the typical 'do you seriously believe that cards can predict the future' look. A look I regularly received from people who just didn't understand.

"It's a complete possibility. I look nothing like father and mother." I tugged on my dress, loosening wrinkles.

"Marlie, darling, neither do I and they had a video of my birth. How on earth could you think that you were adopted from Africa of all places. You skin is as light as--" She mumbled her words, trying to find an example. Her finger pointed to the turned on TV where a news stand was capturing video of a man that had just escaped from living underground for most of his life. "His!"

I studied the mans face. He had bulky sunglasses that were dark as the night sky. I doubt he could've seen anything. His hair was wild and long which paired nicely with his giant beard that covered his face. Overall, you couldn't see any details of this man. Besides the obnoxious microphone that was being shoved up this nose, of course.

"Actually, his skin looks darker than mine." I said more to myself, glaring at his obviously naturally tan skin. Oh how I wished mine could magically turn darker overnight.

"My point exactly. Stop it with these silly cards nonsense." She took off Barlie's bib and placed it gently on the counter before picking up the child and walking out of the room. "Get the mail before you go to work, would you?" She yelled out as she walked down the hall.

I sighed, looking outside at the gloomy weather. The rain was pelting the roof, sounding like hail. This was a sign, obviously, that bad things were to come. I stood up from the chair where I sat and walked towards the living room. I guess you could say my house was medium sized. We didn't have a lot of furniture because Meredith liked it simple. It was just the two of us living here, along with the new addition--which was due to an unexpected pregnancy that Meredith had. Which the cards had also predicted, by the way.

The kitchen was modern and white, without a speck of dust touching it. The living room had grey walls with a white fireplace and furniture. There were small decoration on some tables but overall, it was bare. But that was home. I picked up an apple out of a bowl, taking a big juicy bite of it before walking out the door.

I've never been one of those girl that was afraid of rain. I relaxes me, I guess. Which is strange because rain is my curse. I'll explain--when I was ten, I was in a car crash that gave me permanent memory loss. It was raining. When I was twelve, my dog died. It was also raining. Two years ago my parents died.

We had a huge flood all across our state.

Oh and last time it rained I fell off my bed and got a concussion.

You see, I have a curse. And today, that curse is coming back. It's just a matter of when and how.