Chapter 3

It was only a few minutes after the bracelet scenario when it happened. They were in a deserted area between two villages when an explosion went off. The impact threw Connor out of the carriage. The carriage came to a stop just as another explosion sent it falling in Connor's direction. He was too disoriented to move much, so he curled into a ball as the carriage came down on him.

The king struggled out of the wreck. He then lifted his wife out of the wreckage also. He then started to run carrying his wife and believing his daughter was right behind him. She had to be behind him, but he didn't look back for fear that he would stop. He kept running until they reached the next village. Only then did he look back to his daughter, only she was nowhere to be found.

***

"You shouldn't have stayed behind," Connor said. She put her finger to her lips to quiet him. After a while she responded, "You would have done the same thing." She became quiet again. "Yes, but you are a princess." She looked at him again. "We are both people. My social status should not put me above others. Besides, according to them we are of the same status. They believe you to be the prince."

***

The flames and smoke were suffocating. Connor remained tucked in a ball as the wreckage slowly began to cave in. His vision was blurred from the impact of the carriage. He saw a blurred movement and heard someone calling out. He tried to move but stopped when it caused sparks to fly throughout the wreckage. The carriage was going to cave in and Connor was in the middle of it.

***

"What do you mean they believe I'm the prince? The prince died at a very young age, everyone knows he is dead. Don't they know that?" When he saw the princess's melancholy expression, he added, "I'm sorry for that outburst." The princess just shook her head, "It's alright, you are correct. It seems that everyone in the kingdom knows this." Connor nodded, "Meaning that they are most likely not from the kingdom."

***

Connor thought he was seeing things, the inside of the wreck was getting brighter. Ashes started raining down and Connor moved his hands to cover his eyes. He stayed in that position for about half a minute. Then a hand tapped him. The person had cleared away the wreckage on top of him. "Can you stand?" The princess's voice came through clear. Connor thought of the explosions and it gave him a small rush of adrenaline. He moved slowly, careful not to cause a cave in, but after a while he had exited the wreck.

The princess was standing there, looking relieved that he was alright. He had quite a few cuts and bruises, but he was certain he would survive. She looked as if she was about to say something, but Connor cut her off. "We have got to get you out of here." She looked confused for a second, but then the situation became clear to her. "Alright, where do we go?" she asked. Connor searched what was around them, but instead of finding a way out he found that were surrounded by four men. All of the men wore bandanas over their faces, and hats to shield their eyes. Connor backed up and stood protectively in front of princess Ava. Things just got a lot worse.

***

"So you can understand them?" Connor asked. The princess nodded, "yes, Arabic is one of the languages I am fluent in." She returned to listening for a while, then she turned back toward Connor. "They will be out there for another thirty minutes." Connor nodded while the princess looked at him inquisitively. "I do not believe we have introduced ourselves. Hello, my name is Avalyn Rose Hazrad." Connor looked at her, "I thought your name was just Ava." She shook her head, "No, that is just the name that stuck. Now, your turn." "My name is Connor Dissontar." Avalyn looked at Connor, "your name sounds foreign." Connor nodded, "my dad was from one of the Arabic colonies close to here."