Chapter 10

James frowned, shaking his head. "We should have organised it for tonight. I know you'll feel better once it's settled."

She nodded. "I'm sure you are right."

He suddenly smiled. "Love, what if we could?"

"Could what?"

"Marry tonight?" He stood, taking her hand. "Come with me!"

"Where?"

"I have an idea." James led her back down the hallway until they reached the family sitting in the drawing room. "We're going for a drive. Don't hold dinner for us."

As soon as he spoke, James turned on his heel and escorted Lauren back out of the room, without giving anyone a chance to speak.

Lauren's eyes were wide. "James, what on earth are you doing?"

"I'll explain once we're on our way. Go to the stables and ask them to ready us a carriage. I'll meet you there."

"Okay." She nodded her agreement, as he kissed her quickly and then ran up the stairs.

James met her in the stables about fifteen minutes later. Lauren stood under an awning to avoid the falling rain, anxiously waiting for him. He smiled widely at her, holding an envelope and followed by a servant carrying a long box and another holding  a small trunk. "You ready?"

She nodded. "Sure."

He offered her a hand to help her into the Hansom before he gave an address to the coach driver, then followed her into the carriage. He sat next to her, smiling. "You still want to marry me?"

"You know I do. Why?" She got nervous, swallowing as fear gripped her that he'd changed his mind. Her hands twisted in her lap, as she asked quietly. "What are you on about, James?"

He could see the nervous tension in her face, tight with fear, and he knew this last minute decision was exactly the one he should've made. Smiling as he untwisted her hands, James took them into his own hands to reassure her. "We're going to the parsonage. I'm not waiting to marry you."

Lauren was unable to speak at first, as relief flooded all her senses amidst her realising he wasn't saying he changed his mind. When she found her voice, she squeaked out. "Are you mad? Everyone is expecting us to wed tomorrow."

"Precisely." James nodded.

"But..." Her stutter was sweetly cut off by his mouth on hers.

"Lauren, do you trust me?" He whispered when he finally broke it off.

"Of course, I do!" She said, without any hesitation. "I wouldn't have even kissed you the first time if I didn't."

He smiled warmly. "I can't tell you how pleased I am to hear it."

The coach driver called to James when they arrived. A footman opened the door and James stepped out first, then reached to help Lauren step out. Holding the large box in his hand, he knocked briskly on the front door.

To say Reverend Wilkins was shocked to see the two of them standing on his front landing an hour before dinner was an understatement. "Jamie...I mean, Lord Ravenwood! To what do I owe the honour of this visit? Aren't you marrying on the morrow?"

"Reverend, I'd like a word with you in private after I first introduce you to my lovely financée, Miss Lauren Haverhill." James was smiling at her with a wanton appreciation in his eyes, as he hugged her closely to his side. "She's the reason we're here."