Epilogue

18 years later...

Lauren couldn't believe the doctor's pronouncement that she was pregnant at the advanced age of thirty-eight. She wasn't prone to swooning, but now felt like an ideal time. She and James were already blessed with four healthy, lively boys who arrived in the first six years of their marriage and then nothing happened. Not for nearly twelve years afterwards in spite of them happily and frequently continuing to have marital relations. It had taken some time before she realized how much she had grown, blossoming in the abundance of James' love and the freedom that getting out from under her domineering and critical mother's thumb.

James gave her complete control of the household when they married, including the accounts and set her up with a generous allowance in a bank account under her name. It was unheard of for a man to give his wife such financial freedom, creating quite a shock in the ton, but James couldn't care less about what anyone else said. His aim was to ensure his wife felt more in control of her life after her being subjected to such cruelty from her mother. After the details of her mother's appalling treatment came to light, her father sent her mother away to live with a female cousin in the Yorkshire countryside where she died the following winter of consumption. No one grieved her passing. Lauren's younger twin sisters also married men who were progressive in their thinking after being carefully vetted by James. It was no wonder the two, kind and generous men reminded Lauren of James. She often hoped that her sisters witnessing her own marriage, a true love match which was also an equal partnership, had inspired them to find husbands who would treat them equally well.

James watched in admiration at Lauren's ability to learn and develop keen management skills. All of their servants adored her and she knew all of them by name, constantly asking about their families and praising them for good deeds. She knew too well how easily insults could wound a person and she never wanted anyone to feel their job wasn't important. As a result, their servants stayed on for years and constantly boasted about their wonderful mistress. James also added Lauren's name to all of his accounts including the property deeds and updating his will, ensuring that she would inherit everything if something ever happened to him. With every child born, he created a trust fund with an entitled property and included part of the businesses he'd built to ensure they would be set up for success when they reached their majority.

First, there was Marcus who was their firstborn who made the young couple feel like they were truly a family. Roderick followed his older brother two years afterwards, a quiet and happy child whose smile lit up the room. Where Marcus was rough and rambunctious, Roderick was content to follow his older brother anywhere and everywhere. Two years later, Lauren gave birth to twins, John and Lucas. They were small in size, but mighty in personality and soon grew up to equal their brothers for creating fun and mischief. They were all in school now, but they were not sent away to boarding like James had been. Instead, he funded an excellent school in their district and the boys were able to come home each night. James didn't think young boys needed to be sent away and Lauren wholeheartedly agreed with him. It gave them some time alone as a couple and they often enjoyed a lazy afternoon in bed after an early lunch, something they made a habit of doing a few times a week.

Not long after a recent afternoon spent in bed with her still handsome and virile husband, Lauren awoke one morning and vomited. She assumed it was something in the dinner they ate last night at the home of Lady Roxbury. The woman was delightful, but her cook was atrocious when trying new recipes and something hadn't smelled quite right to Lauren, but she ate the food without complaint. Naturally, she took enough bites not to appear rude, but her stomach was paying her back the following morning. A few days later and it hadn't abated, she sent for Doctor Covington to visit their estate later that morning in hopes he could provide her with a tonic to improve her digestion. She had also noticed her monthly courses had stopped recently and she assumed that her change had begun. Instead, he shocked her completely by saying she was pregnant.

She was laying down on her bed that afternoon when James burst into the room. "Did you hear? Lucas won the school spelling bee! By jove, I told you that one is a genius!"

Smiling, Lauren sat up gingerly. "Delightful. I'm so pleased. He must be thrilled to bits."

James immediately approached her in bed. "Oh dear, still not feeling well? Lady Roxbury should take this incident as a lesson to never let that cook of hers experiment again..."

"It's not that." His wife shook her head, causing him to suddenly grow concerned.

He sat down next to her, touching his hand to her brow. "What is it, my love? You're not feverish. It's nothing serious, is it?"

Lauren smiled weakly. "Well, yes and no."

"You're scaring me, darling. I'm man enough to admit it." He tenderly kissed her forehead, making her smile in gratitude for his never-ending support that taught her how to truly love and blossom in confidence all these years. "Whatever it is, we'll face it together."

"I'm expecting."

"Expecting? Expecting what?" James' brow drew together in confusion, as realisation began to dawn on his handsome visage. "You. . .you're with child? Seriously?!"

Lauren nodded timidly. "Yes. Some time in April, we'll have another baby."

"Or two?" James winked, making his wife go momentarily pale. "This is amazing!"

"You're not angry?" Her pale face showed worry.

He shook his head, laughing. "Angry? Why would I be angry, darling? No, I'm absolutely delighted! But, how are you feeling about it?"

"A bit nervous. I didn't think it could happen at this age..."

"Yes, well, I guess you weren't quite ready for the change."

"Apparently not." Lauren managed to laugh. "I learned today that it can slow down, but it doesn't mean I can't have more children."

He gently tweaked her nose. "I'm thrilled to bits."

Six months later, James watched in awe as his beloved wife delivered not one, but two healthy girls who they named in honour of their grandmothers.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thank you to everyone who provided feedback on An Unwanted Wife! I would love your thoughts on my modern series, Brooklyn Bombers, and a new, Regancy era romance called An Unexpected Duchess. Wishing you the happiest and healthiest in 2019 xoxo