Introduction

This story takes place in the 1950's, in a secluded valley of Switzerland. The elements based on the real world have been researched to be as accurate as possible. Markets and villages were as represented here, as well as the fact that the orphan boy in the story was forced to work on a farm instead of going to school. Traditional songs are accurate.

The legend of Lessoc Fountain, as presented by one of the characters is a 'true' legend from the region. That is to say, it might or might not have happened, but this is the story people tell.

The magical, fairy aspects are loosely based on regional fairy stories.

I have included a pronunciation guide for some of the names and words used, since the people in the area are French and patois speakers. More will be added as the story advances.

Coquelicot, also known as Cocot: koh-klee-koh, or koh-koh, French for poppy flower. It is quite common to give nicknames based on the first syllable of the name.

Soufflé: soo-flay, puff of wind or fluffy cake

Jean-Baptiste: jahn-bah-pteest (soft j sound and nasal n)

Lessoc: luh-sock

Buonet Rodzos: bonny rahd-zohz

*** I hope you enjoy. This is one of my favorite stories, and it is dear to my heart. ***