Ch. 34 Evil Creatures Would Harm You

Heart pounding in her ears, Cocot raised her hands as her last defense. He could crush her with one hoof. "Hector, please. Please."

He paused, breathing heavily.

"Please," she begged. "Come back to me, I know you are still in there." She stretched her fingers, almost touching the unruly spot between his eyes. Tears streamed into her mouth and off her chin.

He snorted, lowering his head to charge. She braced herself to dodge.

Then he nickered softly and the moonlight reflected in his eyes. He sagged and melted back into the tired, scarred horse that Cocot loved. She let out a laugh that was part sob.

He stepped to her, feeble and shaking to blow on her fingers with his nose. When she reached to pet him, he collapsed.

"Hector!" It had been too much for the old horse. He was tired and he needed to rest. She could still give him the tincture to help him heal.

"You'll be all right, I'll take care of you," she said. It would make him sleep, but she could cover him with branches until morning to hide him. In the dark, she found his mouth and let a few drops fall in it. "You'll see, you'll be all right in the morning."

He lifted his head and forelegs weakly to stand. She pushed him back down and rubbed his neck.

"Lay still and rest, Hector, you'll be—" Her hand touched something wet. There was something wet—sticky and thick—covering the base of his neck.

"No, oh no, please no. you can't leave me!" She pressed both hands to his chest, and Hector's life welled up and poured out between her fingers. The fairies' swords had done their work.

Cocot whimpered and stroked the horse's neck and forehead. The fairy king had warned her; the evil in the bottle would destroy what she loved most. Is this what he meant? The horse had come to save her and it was her fault if the evil had infected him.

He had changed himself back for her.

"Please don't leave me alone," she whispered. "And I won't leave you, I promise. I'll stay and you will get better."

The witch or Wenslar would surely send the horrible guards to find them, but Cocot would stay.

She cradled Hector's head, heavy as a rock, crooning a wordless lullaby. He pawed a couple times at the air, shuddered and then closed his eyes.

The tincture was making him sleep, that was all. There is more magic in all the flowers of the field.... She rocked back and forth, hoping desperately that the tincture could heal more than just evil magic.

The blood from his cuts slowed and stopped.

"Hector," she breathed, "you can't me leave me here alone. Please."

She watched as his tail swished once and a few running spasms flicked over his ribs and flank. She watched as his breathing grew shallow and finally stopped. She watched, hoping for the magic to heal him, as he grew perfectly still.

Once again, she was sitting, watching helplessly as someone she loved died. The picture of her mother lying in bed came crowding over the sight of Hector until the two were meshed together.

Cocot lost those she loved—just as the passage keeper had threatened.

Rage sparked deep in Cocot. She would end this. Not because the king had told her to, but because the witch had ordered Hector's death. Somehow, she would make the witch pay.

She clenched her fists over Hector's body, wondering where her tears were. Anger had finally burned them away. Cocot would destroy the one thing the witch wanted.