Ch. 28 Things Unseen

Hector's sores were worse.

They were flaming red and seeped green pus. Several black maggots flashed in and out of sight. Hector tore up dew covered grass while the morning mists rolled through the trees, watching the horse and her.

Cocot had tried two of her cures the last two days in row; she had one hope left to save him.

Soufflé flitted over the garden to land on the chopping block. Cocot gave a slight nod to the hand fairy. He rubbed his arms against the morning chill and nodded in return. They both knew that the evil in Hector was once again rising to the surface.

"We had an agreement, you remember?" he asked.

"I remember." If she could not cure the horse, she would have to abandon him. Defeat was not an option, though. "I have a bottle in the chalet to try on him today."

His head snapped towards her in surprise. "A bottle of what?"

"The third tincture that I made," she explained hastily. "It has poppy seeds.... It will work, you'll see."

"Till tomorrow morning, then. Tomorrow is the last day. Whether you cure him or not, you have to go and soon. You have to leave here, child. Do you remember when the witch came?"

"No. Or maybe yes. She is the one who wanted something from me, who threatened me to get it. She is a witch?"

"Yes, and the passage keeper for the king. He keeps her near to watch the fountain passage and he watches her. Tomorrow night the fairies hold their summer moon revelries, the king will not be watching and I am afraid for you. If only you could give her what she wants—you would be free to go!"

She hugged her middle. "I don't know what she wants."

"That is why you must remember. You must remember everything and be ready to go tomorrow," he said.

"Tomorrow, I leave. I promise."

She waited until after he left to prepare the treatment for Hector. She agitated the glass bottle, causing the liquid to slosh at the neck. 'Poppy Seed Tincture' was written in her clumsy block letters.

At her feet, the bucket was half-filled with fresh water and she counted out twenty-four drops of the healing solution. Then she put in seven more drops for a little luck. It might be too strong, but she was past being cautious. She searched the ground for the sponge so she could wash his sores.

"Sorry, old boy. I'll be back before you know it," she said, skipping along the stone path to fetch the sponge. Hector stamped his hooves.

She returned to the wood pile in time to see him drinking from the pail, his huge head hidden up to his ears.

"Hector, no!" she cried. "You're not supposed to drink all of it!"

He gazed up at her, tipping the bucket over and letting a few drops from the bottom wash out to the ground.

"Now what? What if it was too strong and it makes you sick? Don't you ever stop to think about what you are eating or drinking?"

He blinked several times placidly, nonplussed. She knew he couldn't understand what she was trying to do. Or that it was time to leave this place and that she didn't dare travel with him so long as the evil was poisoning his heart. He could never understand her fears or the gut-wrenching decisions she faced.

He shook his mane and took a couple of wobbly steps.

"Hector?" she asked him.

Three more swaying steps. He swung his tail back and forth, then with a groan, the massive animal collapsed. His slack muscles and skin vibrated from the impact and his head lolled sideways.