Freaks of Greenfield High (Chapter 18)

By Maree Anderson

Chapter Eighteen

"Son," Tyler's father said. "Listen to me. I want you to move away from her and come stand by me. Now."

"Don't call me son," he managed to say.

"Tyler, please."

This was no joke. Tyler's father had spoken tersely, his voice tense and strained. He was scared, scared of what Jay might do.

But Tyler knew she would never hurt him. Or at least, not physically.

Before he could even decide how to react, in one fluid movement Jay threw him over her shoulder and bounded up the stairs to the top floor landing. He struggled and she set him back on his feet but kept him close with an arm about his waist. "He'll be far safer with me, Michael. For the moment."

Tyler's father blew out a disbelieving snort. "I don't think so, Gamma. The first time you singled him out for attention, you put him at risk. They'll target him for interrogation. And I can't let that happen. I won't let that happen. Let him go. I can protect him. I can make sure he's safe and—"

"Can't you sense them, Michael? They're deploying themselves around this building as we speak. He didn't trust you so he had you followed. And you've led them right to everything you hold so dear. Do you truly believe they'll care who gets hurt in the crossfire? Or are you truly that naïve?"

Tyler's father stilled. He cocked his head, considered Jay through narrowed, intense eyes. He obviously heard something Tyler couldn't because he visibly paled. And then he sprang into motion, pivoting to rush headlong down the stairs.

"What the hell is going on, Jay?" Tyler's head was whirling from everything he'd witnessed. He was kinda grateful for her arm about his waist. Without her supporting him, he might have toppled down the stairs and landed at the bottom in a gibbering, useless heap.

"Your dad's done a stupid thing and now it's come back to bite him on the ass. I need you to trust me and do exactly what I say. Can you do that?"

He nodded. Then he had a really terrifying, paralyzing thought. "Will...?" He choked back his fear. "Will they hurt Mom?"

Jay shook her head, her bright blue eyes gleaming in the dull gloom of the stairwell. "I don't believe she's in any immediate danger. As always, they appear to have their priorities sorted. And, as always, their first priority is me."

Michael raced back up the stairwell, taking the stairs two at a time. "Shit. You're right. Full extraction team armed to the teeth. Tyler, where's your sister?"

"Caro's upstairs, Michael." Tyler ignored the pain in his father's eyes at the way Tyler had addressed him. Michael had walked out on them five years ago. He didn't deserve to be called "dad". "She's partying with a whole bunch of other kids in Jay's apartment."

Michael scrubbed his hands over his shaven scalp. "Shit." He stared helplessly at Tyler. "Shit!"

Cold, sick dread coated Tyler's skin. "What the hell kind of people are you working for?"

"A ruthless bastard who'd do anything—and I mean anything—to get his hands on this cyborg."

Jay smiled. "Gosh, it feels wonderful to be loved."

Michael stared at her, like he couldn't believe what he was hearing. "If you're thinking of using my son and daughter as hostages—"

"Don't be an ass, Michael," she said. "I love your son. And your daughter is my best friend. I'm hardly going to endanger them to save my own skin."

"Huh?" Tyler heard himself squawk. "What did you say?"

Jay pressed a hard, possessive kiss to his lips. A kiss that left him entirely breathless, and hot and tingling all over. She reached into her back pocket and handed him a credit card in his mother's maiden name, Marissa Rowen. A black American Express card. "Unlimited funds," she said. "And I mean, unlimited. All payments are handled by one of my offshore account agents. When it's safe to leave the building, tell Marissa to take you and Caro and leave. Don't pack up, don't take anything. Just hire a rental, and go. This card will buy you anything you need. Car, house, anything at all. Tell her I'm sorry. It's the best I can do. If I had more time—if there was any other way...."

Michael approached warily. He paused, then grabbed Tyler and hugged him so tight he could barely breathe.

"Take Tyler inside, Michael, and shut the door behind you. Input this code, 3-7-9-6-5-1-4-5, on the interior keypad by the door. The door is reinforced and the code will engage the deadlocks. Do you have it memorized?"

Tyler's father muttered the numbers beneath his breath and nodded. "3-7-9-6-5-1-4-5. Got it."

"For the release code, add one to all the digits: 4-8-0-7-6-2-5-6. Give it thirty minutes. This will all be over by then."

"What are you going to do?" Tyler knew his voice was scratchy with fear and worry but he was unable to hide it from her.

Jay's gaze locked on to his. "Whatever it takes to keep you and your sister and Marissa, and yes, even your misguided father, safe."

Michael stuck out his hand, wincing slightly when Jay grasped it. "Thank you. And I'm sorry."

"I know, Michael. You were lied to from the start and you were only trying to keep your family safe. If you've got any sense, you'll make yourself scarce, and go on that extended holiday, too. Marissa will need your help. And if you get down on your knees and beg, you might even convince her to accept it. I've considered all the available men in this town, analyzed all the available data, and in my not-so-humble opinion, no one else is good enough for her."

Jay's features smoothed, blanking until it seemed to Tyler that she'd shucked off her humanity and he was gazing at something manmade. Something inhuman.

"Go," she said to him. And launched herself down the stairs without a backward glance.

Michael yanked open the door and pushed Tyler inside. The instant before his father slammed it shut behind them, Tyler heard the unmistakable sound of breaking glass.

~*~

Copyright 2011 Maree Anderson

www.mareeanderson.com