7. One Big Happy Family

Seven

One Big Happy Family

"Quinn!"

Macy jumped up from the floor and scurried out of my bedroom at the sound of my mother's voice, tail wagging frantically. It took me considerably longer to roll over and stand, searching wildly for my phone.

"Quinn? Vanessa?"

"Coming!" I yelled, finally finding my phone and shoving it into the back pocket of my shorts. Then I raced down the steps, almost slipping in my socks on a slick spot at the bottom. "What's up?"

Mom eyed me, her gaze traveling from my feet up to the tip of my head. "No phone in your back pocket," she said, nodding once. "The radiation is bad for you."

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes as I pulled my phone out and dropped it on the counter instead.

"We're having company for dinner," she continued. I noticed for the first time that she was standing amidst an array of pots and pans, bustling about. "I could use some help."

"Who's coming?" Vanessa had appeared behind me in the entryway, her hands planted in their usual position on her hips.

"Mr. Summers and his wife. And their son. You girls know Andrew."

Instinctively, I ran my fingers through my hair. "I should go freshen up," I said. "You know, so I can look presentable for our guests. You never like me wearing cut-off shorts when we have company."

"Please," Vanessa scoffed. "When have you ever cared what you look like?"

I opened my mouth to protest, but she said over me, "Someone's trying to impress Andrew."

"For the record, I don't need to impress him. He's the one who likes me." Then, because Mom still looked lost and alone amongst all of her cooking ingredients, I added, "I'll be right back."

She looked reluctant but let me hurdle back up the stairs two at a time.

Vanessa was right. I never obsessed about my appearance, and now that I actually was obsessing, I didn't know what to do. My hair definitely needed work, but how? I'd straightened it this morning and now it was frizzy and untamed.

"Need some help?" ask Vanessa, stepping into my room.

I turned to her with my eyes squinted, trying to figure out what ulterior motive she had.

"Come on." She gestured me towards her, an open and genuine smile on her face. "It's what sisters do."

Glancing back at my reflection, I knew I desperately needed help. There was simply no other option but to let Vanessa work her magic. "No clones of you, okay?" I confirmed as she slipped inside my closet to pick out an outfit.

Her head popped back out from behind the door and she shot me a thumbs-up. "Deal."

It took her about twenty seconds to rummage through my closet and pull out black lace shorts and a plain white tee. After I'd put both on she started on my hair, brushing it out and smoothing it down with a practiced hand.

"Honestly?" she said once she'd spritzed it a little bit of her hairspray, "You look fine. Same as always, I mean."

I wished I'd let my hair go curly and natural, but it was too late now. "Thanks."

She patted my shoulder reassuringly. "Let's go on downstairs."

Vanessa and I helped Mom cook some lasagna and a vegetable medley, and everything was arranged on the dining room table when the doorbell rang. Mom straightened the collar on her button-down and hurried to open the door while Vanessa and I stood awkwardly in the kitchen.