Chapter 23: It's Not Too Late - Edited

Demi Lovato Fan Fiction

Book 1: It Was A Mistake But I am Unbroken Now

Book 2: Here We Go Again When Two Worlds Collide

Book 3: Love is Loud Enough to Stop Hate

Book 4: That's How You Know to Believe in Me

Chapter 23: It’s Not Too Late

-Kayla's View-

I showed up back at the hospital with Maria. The nurse tried to bring me back to my room, but I refused. I refused so much that they put us both in a bigger room so we could share, that is, after Maria was out of surgery. They had to go in and remove the bullet, but they said she was going to be okay.

The doctors and nurses kept telling me not to worry about her because I needed my rest. When Maria came out of surgery, and after she was out of recovery, they brought her back in our room. I waited and waited for her to wake up, only to make me more nervous. Then I made all the nurses mad because I needed to relax to completely heal. I was so happy when Maria finally woke up, and I couldn't wait to talk to her.

"Maria!" I said.

She looked over at me and smiled, "Kayla, you're okay."

"Yeah I'm okay, are you okay?" I asked her.

"I don't know," she replied, "I feel okay now, but I haven't moved yet."

"That's probably not a good idea," I told her, "Wait for a nurse."

"Yeah good call," she smiled, "So did it work?"

I started laughing, "You just woke up from having a bullet removed from your side and that's the first thing you ask me?"

"I already know you're okay, so that was my next thought," she said.

"I'm not sure it's going to work like we thought it would, but Zane is in jail. The cops showed up after the shooting and arrested them all," I said.

"All?" she asked.

"I think so, I wasn't really paying attention," I said, "I was kind of distracted."

Our thoughts were interrupted by a visitor....Anastasia. I thought the cops had taken her away, but she was alone. They must have let her go after questioning her.

"Mar?" she asked.

"Anastasia...." Maria said, trailing off.

"I'm so glad you're okay."

"What are you doing here?" Maria asked her.

"I need to say something."

"Didn't they arrest you?" Maria asked.

"They did at first, but at the police station everyone told their story and they let me go. They actually thanked me for what I did, but I feel like I didn't do anything. You've been telling me this whole time, but I didn't listen. You were my best friend Mar....and I love you," Anastasia said.

I felt really awkward watching all this. It's not like I could just leave the room and give them some privacy. I didn't even know they were friends. Of course there were a lot of things that I didn't know that I was just finding out. I was so oblivious a year ago. I didn’t concentrate on anything that was happening around me.

"It's okay," Maria said, "You were sticking up for your brother. He's the last family you have left. You didn't think you had a choice."

"But I did and I feel horrible! I am so sorry it took me a year to realize what you told me was true," Anastasia said.