coffee at night

Cleaning was always the last thing Eleanor wanted to when the shop closed. Alas, it was necessary. Her animals shed crazily, customers tracked in unsanitary things onto her gorgeous floor, and the dishes needed washing.

Slouching profoundly, she went to work on the dishes, allowing her lips to settle in a disheartened frown. 

The bell above the door chimed.

"Sorry, we're..." she started to say, until she lifted her head. The mug in her soapy hands shattered when she saw who was in the doorway. "...always open for you, Dr. Spencer Reid! Hi. How are you? How are you doing tonight?"

"Did you just--"

"Nope. It must have been Midnight. That darn cat is always pushing things off my counters," said Eleanor awkwardly. "S-So, what are you... What are you doin' here?"

"Hoping to settle my addiction to your coffee," said Spencer hopefully. 

Eleanor didn't trust her mouth to say anything not embarrassing. Usually, she had time to prepare for anything and everything that could come up in conversation when he came to the shop, as there was always a line of people to get through. She was entirely caught off guard. Never before had she practiced this scenario in her head. She didn't know anything to say. 

"Coffee. I do coffee. I can do coffee. I will do coffee," she agreed.

Eleanor turned her back before she could ruin the visit any more. Wiping her damp hands on her apron, she hopped over the broken glass, and worked quickly to whip up his usual order. 

Spencer flipped the sign on the door to read CLOSED. Clutching the handle of his brown satchel, he approached the counter. He pretended not to see the glass she dropped. 

"So, Eleanor..." he said. 

She tried not to scream. He remembered my name!

"...you should, um, consider locking the door after hours," he finished lamely. Seconds after the sentence left his mouth, he looked around awkwardly, brow furrowing for a single moment. What type of opening line is that, Spencer?

"That's what Kermit's for," said Eleanor.

"Well, you see, most people don't know this, but--"

"Spencer, I was pulling your leg."

"Oh. Oh, right. I knew that."

Eleanor slid his mug across the counter. Her eyes lingered on the gun attached to his belt. She looked rather unsettled by it. "I suppose I don't need an attack dog when I've got an... FBI Agent in the place, yeah?"

"How did you know I was in the FBI?" asked Spencer suspiciously.

Eleanor pointed to the badge hanging from his bag. She returned to the sink. She was incredibly careful not to drop anymore mugs as she washed the remaining dishes.

"I wouldn't peg you for an FBI man," she said. 

"I'm apart of the BAU. We travel around the country and solve crime using criminal profiling."

"Is that what brings you here at this time of night?"

Spencer nodded. "I just got back from a case."

"Sounds like you could use some coffee."

"That is exactly why I came straight here," he said. "It's rather strange, actually. Every time I'm away and my team orders coffee from somewhere else, I almost feel like I'm cheating."

"As long as my coffee stays number one in your heart, it isn't cheating," assured Eleanor.

"Can't imagine it any other way," he smiled.

"So, team, huh? How many people are in your team, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Oh, you're fine. We've got seven right now. We lost one."

"Lost one...?" asked Eleanor cautiously.

"She... died."

"I'm very sorry to hear."

"And then she came back," finished Spencer.

Eleanor paused to look at him. "Are you feeling all right?"

"Fine, why?" asked Spencer unknowingly. 

"You just said your friend came back," reminded Eleanor. 

"Yes. She faked her death. Some of my team members neglected to tell the rest of us. I'm not exactly itching to be around them, nor her," he explained. 

It was quiet for a little bit while Eleanor thought of an appropriate response. "Do you think, perhaps, you were better off not knowing she was alive?"

"No," said Spencer immediately. "I understand why they did it. It just..."

"Hurts," finished Eleanor. 

"Yeah."

"I think, once your pain and disappointment passes, you'll be able to forgive them. I know you're probably a smart man, Spencer. I think you might know why they chose the course they did," said Eleanor softly. 

When Spencer didn't answer right away, she turned her head, ready to ramble a handful of apologies for overstepping her boundaries. Seeing the simple smile on his face raised her furrowed brow.

"Fantastic coffee maker, animal rescuer, beautiful, and  a very good therapist. Maybe you deserve one of my doctorates, Eleanor," he joked.

"Spencer, stop, you'll make me blush," she mumbled, hiding her face from his view.

"I've already succeeded, haven't I?"