coffee at odd terms

Eleanor requested she didn't touch the register for a couple of days. A smile, a friendly interaction, or a wince wasn't nearly approachable in her state. She was quiet and inexpressive throughout the days after Spencer's phone call. Even in her small action, restocking cups underneath the counter, she moved as though she was a robot.

Sydney and Nora watched her suspiciously for those days. In whispers, they observed Eleanor with watchful eyes, trying to run through the past days and pinpoint where everything went wrong. 

Then, as though fate was on their side, the doorbell chimed, and in walked Dr. Spencer Reid.

"Reid," they sneered. 

"I'm gonna fight him," snapped Nora.

"Right after you," agreed Sydney. 

Pretending to appear unaffected, the girls slid past Eleanor, who was sitting under the counter restocking mugs, and stepped in front of the register. Arms crossed, they stared, both wanting to appear intimidating. 

Spencer was, indeed, intimidated. "Um... Hi, ladies," he said quietly. 

"Dr. Reid," said Sydney icily.

"Come here often?" asked Nora.

"As often as I can," said Spencer, tilting his head. "Nora, do you have any idea where--"

"Utter her name and die," said Nora.

Spencer stretched the corners of his mouth downward, unsure of what their hostile attitude meant for him. He worried about his safety.

"What the hell did you do to her?" asked Sydney quietly.

"To Eleanor?" asked Spencer. "Please, what happened? Is she hurt? Is she here? Let me talk to her."

A thump from underneath the counter, followed by a monotone, "Ow," reached their ears.

Spencer raised his brow at the girls. When they pretended as though they didn't hear the noise, he walked the length of the counter and peered over it. He tilted his head curiously.

Eleanor looked up to see what caused the shadow. She gasped and dropped her head again. Her action of placing the mugs away quickened significantly. 

"Eleanor, hi, I'm back from my case," he said.

"I noticed," she said, flashing a smile, which clearly lacked emotion.

Spencer bit his lip. "So... I gave your girls a present for you. Did you get it?"

"I did."

"My number was in there, but, um, I don't think you called."

"Oh, I did."

"Did you? I didn't get a message, or anything... My phone was on the whole case, surely, it was ringing the... Oh... Oh, no. What did Derek do?" asked Spencer worriedly.

"Derek didn't do anything. I called you, and you were about to call my deceased mother something cruel, Dr. Reid," said Eleanor quietly. 

"Dr. Reid? El... El, I'm so sorry. I am so sorry. I'll explain what happened, just... Just let me buy you a coffee."

Eleanor looked at him.

"Okay, so maybe not coffee," he sighed. "Derek and I were engaged in a prank war, okay, and he gave my number out on national television, so people kept calling, and I got so tired of it that I snapped. On you. I am incredibly sorry."

Eleanor's head fell against the shelf. She mumbled, "Did you get him back?"

"What?"

"Did you prank him back?" she asked again when she raised her head.

"Well, yeah. I recorded myself screaming over his iPod music."

Eleanor couldn't help but giggle. She quit stocking the mugs and looked at him, the pout on her face quickly changing into a smile. "Spencer, just promise next time I call I get a nice hello, okay?"

"The nicest, I promise," he agreed.

"How long till you have to go?" she asked.

"I got off the plane thirty minutes ago. I'm praying I've got the night," he begged. "El, speaking of tonight, do you have, uh, any plans?

"I'm babysitting for a friend," she said.

"Oh. No, yeah, same here. Kids."

"'Same here,'" mocked Eleanor, giggling. "Right, Spencer with kids."

"It's true. I'm a wonderful babysitter," he told her.

"And what's your kids name? The one you supposedly babysit?"

"Jack."

"Common name, isn't it?"

"Actually, the name Jack--" Spencer stopped diving into his comfort zone. A disgusting noise hit their ears, interrupted their conversations, shook building's even. His cell phone rang. 

"No," groaned Eleanor.

Spencer sighed. He checked his phone. His face settled. "Oh, it's my mother," he mumbled, answering, "Mom, hi. Can you give me a second? I'm a little busy."

"No, Spencer, go. Go on. I don't want to take away any time you get," insisted Eleanor.

"Thank you so much, El," he said generously.

Eleanor peered over the counter to watch him leave. She bit her lip. "Spencer?" she called before it was too late. She hit her head when she tried to stand briskly, but the pain didn't register over her immense nerves.

He turned, looking expectant.

"Spencer, if you were to ask me any other time..."

"El, you don't have to--"

"Use your analysis skills," she offered. She raised her shy eyes to meet his. "I think you'd know my answer."