A Ring

Summer 1525 – Hever Castle

Anne found herself once more at home, her Father had been ill for the last few weeks of July and Doctors had ordered him to return to the comfort of the place he called home. Her Father had of course argued that his place was with the King, until Henry himself had ordered him to go – a sick man was not wanted in the court of King Henry and the Boleyns were sent forthwith to Hever. Anne immediately felt angered and upset to be gone from court until she was told that Wyatt was to accompany them – to aid and to serve her Father.

When it became clear as the end of August arrived that her Father had broken the fever that had consumed his body, there was a celebration to occur. The announcements had gone out three days ago and now here Anne stood in the busy room watching the servants of the house carry through the final decorations and musicians practising. Her Father was at the centre of the activity for once, so unlike other celebrations but this was different – this was in his words.

Proof that the Boleyn family were truly destined for greatness. That even a strong fever could not take him away from them all.”

Some may have called it arrogance – to Anne it was just her Father and his belief that through the strong connections they had at court and the relationship between Mary and the King although at times, delicate, had made them one of the strongest and powerful families at court. Anne was becoming used to such talk from her Father and her Uncle – she prayed that they were right, that Mary would give the King a son, an heir that would be acknowledged by him and give them the final step they needed. If not, then... their future would be nothing more than wine left to long in a cask... rich and wondrous at first – then forgotten. Heads and bodies did not stay connected if you angered the King and those who had once they were above the fall of the axe had found themselves beneath it on many occasion.

Her attention was dragged once more from her musing, to the voice of her Father demanding that she be ready to meet their guests, she nearly scoffed at his words – but knew better. Thomas Boleyn hoped that King Henry would arrive and wished once more to make a good impression on the King, everything had to be perfect, not just for the other families who were due within the hour for the beginning of the celebrations, but so that the man that her Father respected, revered and hoped would raise both the Boleyns and Thomas Howard to the being the ultimate family at court. There was no price Thomas wouldn't pay for that to happen either and Anne knew that.

# # #

The house and grounds were filled with the many families of the country who weren't in court at present... if she was right, Anne believed that court was moving soon once more and many of the men her Father and Uncle called friends were taking the brief time they had to visit their families and loved ones. Or if Anne was right, plot in secret on how to rise and increase their wealth as all men seemed to do. Anne saw many faces she knew, those who were high within the court and those who her Father and Uncle wished to charm and use to rise higher, curtseying and smiling serenely Anne maintained the façade of one of the happy Ladies of the household when in fact she was bored – her sister Mary was with her child and husband and truth be told, the relationship between the two sisters was now that of two strangers. Anne was sad that it had happened but knew that their jealous nature would never fade and allow them to be close.

Her Father was calling for her to play the Lute for the gathering guests, she knew that he would not let it go and truth be told, Anne revelled in a chance to show her refined skills and musical ability to the nobles of the land, within the confines of her home she was more relaxed and within a short period of time, her music was filling the air and she had men and women entranced – her Father and no doubt Uncle also, would be pleased with her and may, if she was lucky, let her escape early for the night. As she reached the end of the piece of music she saw him, the one who would ensure her sanity and happiness tonight.

There walking up the garden was Thomas Wyatt.

As soon as the situation would allow it, Anne's lute was handed to a man servant and walked as fast as she would be allowed under the ever watchful eye of her family. Her friendship with the young man was barely tolerated since his separation from his wife, scandal for the Boleyn and Howard family would not, could not be tolerated– even if the biggest scandal was Mary and her bastard child.

They were hidden away by the trees when she reached him and tugged him into a garden filled with young trees that her Father wanted to grow into an elaborate maze, the young trees allowed them some privacy so that when Anne lay on the ground with her head on Wyatt' knee no one would see just how close they had become – no one could see the young man bend and kiss her hand. Anne was nervous, their friendship was something she valued more than anything – in the world they lived in, friends were few and far between and they both knew it.

I have something for you Thomas – a gift to show you a symbol of my love, friendship and eternal loyalty to you. I have been so alone at times and you have always known what I needed. Treasure this but please I beg of you my Father and Uncle must never know – no one must know.”

The emerald ring on her middle finger of her left hand was removed and placed in his hand. Wyatt placed the ring within a small pocket before thanking Anne and kissing her hand. He had heard so little of the speech Anne had given, ignoring the talk of friendship and focussing more on the word love. Anne cared for Thomas Wyatt deeply as she did a brother or relative not a lover. Wyatt on the other hand, was falling more and more in love with the young Boleyn girl.

They lay still for maybe an hour as Thomas recited poetry to Anne and they talked of court and how his Majesty had been quiet once more. Wyatt didn't know about the King and Mary, or if he did, he was discreet. Things were changing fast at the Tudor court,

As they returned to the celebrations, Anne didn't notice Wyatt slip the emerald ring onto his smallest finger, nor did she see the longing look cross his face as she danced and smiled with her friends.

Anne never noticed just how in love the young poet was with her.