Damon Salvatore

Hermione entered the Grill from the front door. Low profile be damned, back doors were too dangerous in this town. She had been in five minutes and she'd already witnessed one show.

It wasn't much crowded inside now, and she could see an empty table right in the back. She was about to head towards it, when she spotted the man called Damon, sitting at the bar, looking very still.

She could sit in the corner and have a quiet meal or she could be at the bar, with a chance to meet the Damon guy, the possible vampire, and find out something new. Plus, see if something stronger than water was available.

Sighing, she made her way towards the bar. As much as she wanted no more drama for the night, she really couldn't afford to lose the only opportunity for a major lead.

She sat carefully, as her knees were still sore and a blond boy bustled over. "What can I get you?" he said, his voice surprisingly heavy. He looked to be a teenager, with striking blue eyes. "Uh, what's best for dinner here?" she asked.

"You're new?" he said, eyeing her with interest. It was the accent, of course. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Damon look up, but didn't dare to look his way."I'm Matt. Matt Donovan. I work here. I've never seen you here before...?" the blond boy inquired again and she smiled tiredly. "Yes, I just got here in fact. I'm Hermione Granger."

They shook hands and Matt suggested sandwiches and fries and she ordered him to bring anything that was stronger than water. Matt had to be in high school, she decided, as she watched him work for a minute or two. He kept staring at a blonde girl sitting alone at a table, who seemed determined to avoid eye contact.

She thought for a while about Matt - if he was still in school but also waiting tables, it meant he either had many people to support back home or none at all. Meanwhile, she risked a glance towards Damon, and saw him sitting very rigidly, moving minimally. She watched him for another solid minute - it looked like he was concentrating very hard on something.

 She watched him for another solid minute - it looked like he was concentrating very hard on something

She made a mental note of it; feeling like there had to be an explanation there. She finally looked around some more and noticed a couple sitting together, a dark haired boy and a girl, talking slowly. Matt seemed to have his attention divided among the blonde and the couple, taking every small excuse to pass by their table, clearly trying to eavesdrop on the conversation.

As she watched, the couple seemed to have an argument - and the girl got up and left the place. Hermione turned back to her sandwich, sighing pathetically to herself. It was only finally dawning on her how utterly alone she was - in this new town, new country, new continent. She missed everyone back home.

She was slowly picking on her sandwich, thinking idly about who she would have brought with her if given the choice, when she felt someone move onto the seat beside her.

It was the Damon guy.