Chapter 5

Max's pov
The doctor says she can only keep Shelby on oxygen for 3 months and after that she said they'll have to... pull the plug. That thought brings tears to my eyes. I can't believe this is happening. I'm sitting at my desk in my room looking at a picture of Shelby. "Not like this, please come back." I say sobbing, I didn't know she had gotten a panic attack. "She's not dead." I say to myself. I wish that could be true. I sigh, I've had enough of this crying it means nothing now. So I just sit there. Ross comes into my room his jaw is still bruised. "You ok? You haven't been very active you never stay in your room this long" Ross said "Yeah it's just I really, really hope Shel is ok" I swallow the lump in my throat. Ross comes and sits on the bed. "Wanna talk about it?" Ross says swinging his feat slowly. "Not really" I look down. "I just miss her alot" I look over at Ross "I miss her more than anyone" I say "You don't understand..." I tell him "You don't think I understand? She's my cousin" Ross says "Well I have to go see ya later" Ross waves goodbye. I flop onto my bed. It can't end like this. I wonder if she's ok... I'll just call her! I grab my phone and slowly realize... no one will pick up "Hello! This is Shelby and I am currently unavailable so please call later and record a message bai!!!" Her answering machine is perfect just like she is. Wow I'm so tempted to leave a message. I flop onto my bed "I'm not ok" I say. "What if she never wakes up?"
(Time skip: 3 months later)
Max's pov
Today is the day they're going to take Shelby off of oxygen. That's as much as her insurance can cover. "Ross give me the keys I need to go to the hospital" I say calmly "What for?" He asks "None of your business where are the frikken keys?" I demand "Fine there right there" Ross points at the counter I grab then and run to the car. I drive to the hospital and push through the revolving door and sprint to the front desk. "Shelby Grace room 748 please" I say out of breath "relationship to patient" the lady working at the front desk asks "I'm her best friend" I say "ok" she lifts up the gates to the elevators I run in and press the 7th floor button and hurry off to Shelby's room. I sit in the chair next to her. "Sir she has 2 hours before we cut the oxygen" The doctor says "k" is all I can get out. She walks out the door. "Please wake up" I squeeze her hand. "Come back" I say

Shelby's pov
"Hello?" I say "anybody here?" I ask as I walk through a dark tunnel I don't know how I've been here. I see a light very far away. Am I dead? No I can't be dead I'm only 22. Is this a dream? Can't be it's to realistic. With the light I hear a small sound. It's sounds like a beeping noise and crying...Max? Max! Max! Oh I've missed him so much I run towards the light but it looks like it's getting further away. But I won't give up.