· of nerds ·

Mulan Cooper was a weird boy. So was his name. But, no, as far as Faith knew, he was never bullied. Bullying was simply ridiculed in their school. Quite opposite of most high schools.

Mulan was an intelligent student. There were lots of intelligent students in Penton High, but Mulan was one of those who stood out. All the teachers knew him. Faith was still trying to get her Geography teacher to pronounce her surname correctly. Otherwise, she was well known too.

He had a tight knit group of friends. He was a stereotype defyer. A rebel. He never sat on the first bench.

When Faith purposefully sat behind him one day and tapped on his shoulder, he turned around and his first question was,"What's the 5th series?"

Faith was caught off guard,"What series?"

He hummed, almost to himself, "You know, Lyman's series. Balmer's. Then..." He took 2 more names, and when Faith finally understood what he was talking about, she gave him the name of the fifth series, " Pfund's." He looked at Faith and smiled slightly, "Yeah, right." 

Taking this as a chance to ask him some questions for the Yearbook, she started," What do you love the most? Physics? Chemistry? Biology? English? or any other name nobody has ever heard of." She smiled at the end, and Mulan smiled at the any other name nobody has ever heard of.

He thought for a while and then replied with a," Quantum Mechanics."

Faith echoed, "Quantum Mechanics?" Before Mulan could speak, she continued, "What's so special about it?" 

He looked at her weirdly and then shrugged, "I don't know. It's awesome. It caught my eye the way other fields didn't. And life isn't all about studies and subjects and fields, is it? It's about...learning. If I do end up choosing Quantum Mechanics as my major, at least I'll love it more. You know Mark Twain's quote? I have never let me education interfere -"

" - with my leaning. Yeah, I have heard of it." Faith completed his sentence.

He smiled at her, "Well, so, Quantum Mechanics is something i would like to learn about, not just study." Faith nodded, as if trying to convey that she understood what he was talking about. 

"You're such a nerd." She blurted out before she could stop herself. "I mean, in a good way, that is." 

He simply shrugged, "Right back at you." as he turned around in his seat to face the board again. 

Under his name in her spiral notebook, she scribbled nerd and proud of it, and smiled to herself.