Chapter 9

Wassup guys! I'm finally back! It wasn't painful as I imagined. And I finally have my phone back and trust me, I have never been more happy to see it. I'm going to hopefully get to Christina and Will soon❤️

I am torn away from the raging river, and Tris and I walk side by side to what appears to be the dining hall. Nearly every table is filled with grinning people dressed in black, pounding their silverware on the tables, chanting and clapping. I smile at Tris, she is obviously uncomfortable with this and I want to show her there is nothing to be afraid of, this is our home and I trust Dauntless to make us happy.
She returns the smile and we weave our way around the crowd to an almost empty table.
Tris sits in between Four and me and I tense up. Four doesn't like me and I don't want to mess with him after him getting in my face.
I'm glaring straight at his forehead as he explains what beef is to Tris, who looks extremely confused.
"You've never had hamburger before?" I ask, stunned.
"No..." She pokes at the hamburger with a fork, "is that what it's called?"
I nod and Four quickly explains to me that "Stiffs only eat plain food"
"Why?" I say as another mouthful of meat and bread is shoved in my mouth.
"Extravagance is considered self-indulgent and unnecessary." She explains.
"No wonder you left" I smirk.
"Yeah..." Her eyes roll "it was just because of the food"
I smile and I see Four's mouth twitch. What is with that guy? What is with him not wanting to smile and sitting alone in the corner?
We eat silently for a while and I wonder about what is wrong with our jerk instructor. I glance over at Wills back every once and a while and secretly wish he was over here with us instead of across the room.
The banging and chattering of Dauntless dies out but I'm staring at Will instead of what's actually going on. I realize a minute later that a short man, with black greasy hair and a face covered in uncomfortable looking piercings is standing at the entrance of the dining hall."who's that?" I whisper. "That's Eric." Says Four, his jaw clenched tightly and his hands held in fists."he's a Dauntless leader"
"Seriously? I say a bit louder than I meant " But he's so young!"
"Age doesn't matter here." He says matter-of-factly.
I mouth a silent o and stare back at Will. I watch him rise and fall as he breathes. I try and breathe the same pace. "Aren't you going to introduce me?" A loud voice interrupts my thoughts. Eric is standing next to Four who grunts "Christina and Tris" he points to us as he introduces us.
"Ooh a Stiff" Eric smirks at Tris and I strain my fingers apart, turning them white. Why do people keep doing this to poor Tris? "We'll see how long you last."
Eric talks to Four for a while and finally leaves. Then Four and Tris begin to talk and the conversation takes a tense turn. "Careful Tris" Four days before getting up and walking to another table to talk to another initiate. Tris whirls around and sees me with my eyebrows raised.
"What?" She barks
"I'm developing a theory."
"And that is?"
"You have a death wish." I poke her playfully with my elbow. She smiles and we finish our hamburgers joking and laughing.