Chapter 1

There was a stillness in the air.

Everybody sensed it- it was the plunge before the storm, the breath before the scream. It was the particles panicking over the summoning of magic, wishing to escape before great peril is done.

Kayn was not afraid. But perhaps she should be.

She has for too long dealt with Chlorals wrath- it was the beginning and the end of the world, and she did hope that one day, it would end. It had to end, she thought. If it took her life, she would end this war. She would give her life for the millions of people who didnt care about her.

Worthless, they called her.

Bastard, because she was not the daughter of a God.

Chloral would never stop reminding her of her nature, she would never stop reminding her of how worthless she was to her until the day she died.

But Chloral had to die first.

She understood how dangerous Chloral was. Everybody did- she killed thousands of innocents, and burned villages to the ground.

Sure, Kayn should be afraid of her aunt- there was a great reason to- and every soul on this Earth would be wise to fear her, and obey every command if they did not want to die burning.

But that did not justify cowardice.

She knew what she had to do to save her family, even if that meant playing the poor, pitiful girl that Chloral saw her as, pretending to waste away in grief.

But she was not that girl.

She was strong, like her mother.

Or atleast she hoped she was.

The cold, bitter air surrounded her. The icy wind swirled around her until she felt frozen to the core . It was seldom cold here, but things were to change fast. She looked around at her room, her scattered belongings on her bed. She hadnt yet put them in her travel bag.

This room she loved- her over crowded and dusty book shelf, the open windows that gave her a breathtaking view of the night sky- these things she may never get to see again. Her whole home, in fact. This whole castle may collapse to dust and everything will be a ruin.

No, she thought. Chloral will not succeed. I will come back when little Vayn is of age, and we will change everything.

Kayn decided she could not think negatively, for it will only weigh her down.

But she couldnt help but think-

Why does it feel like I'm leaving forever?

The thought provoked her- surely she will come back. She had to. She wouldn't leave her mother forever. If her mothers plan worked.

But nevertheless, the snake voice in the back of her head whispered:

You will come back to a world ruined.