Chapter 1 For your sister

‘Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!’ my alarm clock went off. I slammed my hand down on it and then threw back the covers. It was another day in my nightmare. My hands flung back the sheets and I got up and headed straight for the bathroom. After a quick bath and brushing my teeth I stepped out and opened my wardrobe. I did not have much but what I had sufficed. No one wanted to be around me so I never dressed up. I pulled on pair of old jeans that was faded at the knees and my old black hoodie. My shoes were a pair of old Nikes passed down from Maya reluctantly. I took my bag and then headed down to the kitchen. Mom was there eating some toasts and tea. She looked up when I entered and her face grew grim. “Why are you still here?” she asked. I sighed and she stepped forward. “Get your sorry butt out of this house!” she cried. My gaze froze on the fridge and then I turned and walked out the door. My birthday was coming up soon but knowing how my mom was I doubted she was even thinking about me but she should. It was my sixteenth birthday, the day that I would shift and I did not know what to expect.

                These were my usual mornings. I never really got to eat at home, mom made sure of that. I was lucky enough to have a job since rumours of the Father Killer had spread like wild fire through the town. My boss was an old wizened man name Mr. Martinez. He had seen what had happened the day my dad died and when I went to ask for the job he accepted me. He was probably the only person to understand what happened. When I passed by the small café not to far from my home I dug out some money and went in for breakfast. I did not spend much only buying a bagel at best, I was saving for college. Mom had big plans for Maya to go college but me I was never involved in any of her conversations. I reached to school early and went for my locker. It was luck I guess; every time I reached late I found some little surprise stuck to my locker. One time it was a thick wad of used chewing gum and other times it was a note from some really sick student. I opened it and drew out the books that I would need for class.

                When I got them I set off for the bench at the side of the school and pulled out my bagel. The taste that engulfed my mouth was delicious. I ate half and kept the other half for lunch and then made my way to the water fountain. Students had started to trickle in and the place was growing increasingly noisy. Thistle high was known for its drama. I found the fountain and bent down for a drink. “Well, well well if it isn’t the father killer,” a voice said. I spun around and my eyes landed on Maya and her two friends. Zara, the one with the black hair stepped up. “Why are you contaminating our water supply?” she asked. I sighed. “Mina, the other one smiled. I looked away but Maya spoke. Her voice was soft and sugar seemed to be falling from her mouth. She came forward and took my hand. “Tabby,” she said using my nickname she used to call me before my dad died. “Cam I borrow your Math book?” she asked. I knew she was after something.

                I stared at her before sighing. “I have a test,” I muttered. She sighed. “Can’t you do it for me, your own sister,” she asked. I knew this was going to hurt me. I pulled it from my bag and gave it to her. “I need it back for seventh period,” I said. She shook her head and then walked off. I stared at her, she was similar to me, we had the same long black hair but she wore tight dresses that she flaunted everywhere she went. I stuck to my old jeans and hoodie. My feet led me away toward my class. As I moved the halls parted as they made there way for the father killer. I sighed.