Chapter One: Josh

A/N: Hey, guys! It's Mattie! It's my day to run the account, so I've decided to take one of the books on my personal account (@Um_Kellic_Please) and post it here !!¡ I hope you guys like it, because I've been working very hard on this book so far. Be sure to leave feedback.

I remember the sound of children laughing, running, and squealing in excitement and happiness. The shine of the sun was right in the center of the great blue sky, warming my skin as I laid out by the pool. I remember the splashes of little water droplets that would occasionally touch my skin. Most of all, I remember the squeals of joy that turned into screams of fear and pain. I remember opening my eyes and seeing these whispy figures holding people, using long, talon like fingers to rip their skin open and pulling out their organs. I remember being grabbed and screaming, only to be pulled into hiding by a human, a human and not one of those... Things.

I had looked at him only to see him place a finger to his lips, telling me to be quiet as he stared out at the scene happening out in the open. My heart was in my stomach as I watched, the pool water no longer water, but the blood of the innocent. Blood splattered the concrete and the walls, along with the left over parts of human beings that those creatures didn't eat.

In one moment, my life flashed before my eyes, and I was running out of hiding towards one of those creatures. In it's arms was my little sister. She had blood coming out of the corner of her mouth, her eyes closed as her hair was slightly covering her delicate features. She was so much paler than usual and her chest was heaving up and down, quickly, her nose scrunched in pain.

I was pulled back just as the creature dug his talons into her throat and ripped her skin off, throwing it aside. Her once sparkling eyes opened then as she screamed in pain, only to be silenced by that thing digging it's talons into her stomach. She held onto its hand and stared right into its face as she gasped and choked on her own blood. I was pulled into the hiding place right as her body went limp again, this time without her breathing. Then a hand was placed over my mouth and I screamed for my little sister, I screamed so loud, the sound muffled as tears ran down my cheeks.

I w-

"Josh?" A voice brought me back into reality and I looked up to see Tyler, the guy who had ended up saving me that day. "Josh, you're crying. Are you okay?"

"Yeah," I mumbled as I wiped my damp cheeks. "I'm fine."

I finished tying the bandana around my bleeding hand and stood up, grabbing my knife and stuffing it in my belt loop. Then I grabbed my bag and slung it around my shoulder. I looked down at Tyler to see him staring at my hand, causing me to huff out a sigh and roll my eyes. I really didn't have time for this.

"I didn't put tape on while using the punching bag and busted my knuckles," I crouched down again so my eyes met his. "I'm alright. I promise. You don't need to worry about me."

"I always worry about you." He retorted with a frown on his face.

I stood up again and rolled my eyes. "Well don't," I told him. "I don't want to be worried about."

Tyler stood up just as I turned around and he grabbed my wrist, pulling me back to him. He had this angry look in his eyes that is rarely ever there as he said, "You might not want to be worried about, Josh, but you need to be. So just accept the fact that I'm worrying about you. What the world has become is extremely dangerous and we all need someone to worry about us because it shows we care. And I care about you. I don't care if you don't feel the same or whatever, but just let me do what I want, okay?"

"I'm going to find us some food." I muttered as I pulled my arm away from his grip. This time he let me go, telling me to be careful. I chose to ignore him and climbed up the ladder, pushing the top of our hide out off. I climbed out and jumped off, landing on my feet on the ground, which wasn't difficult considering it was just a school bus with a ladder we added to it. The bus was laying on it's side over a hole in the ground, which Tyler and I store supplies in while we stay in the bus itself. It wasn't the safest thing, but we tinted the windows and made it look as if the bus was abandoned, even finding ways to cover our scent.