Chapter Three: Maxon

Author's note ~ this chapter will be written from Maxon's POV, hence the chapter title :)

My first date. My first date was today!

I excitedly rushed past the guards lined up in the hallway, and made my way to one of the ladies' rooms...

...Celeste Newsome.

I reread her file - she was a Two, a model, and so, extremely beautiful. According to her picture, at least.

I casually strolled to Celeste's door, and knocked on it. Seconds later, the door opened, and her maids greeted me.

"Oh, um, Prince Maxon!" one of her maids said. "How can we help you?"

"Oh, um, I have a date with Celeste Newsome tonight. Is this not her room?" I asked, rereading her files once again.

"Yes!" Someone squealed from the back. She rushed out from her bathroom, and introduced herself as Celeste.

Wow, I thought. Celeste is much more beautiful in person.

She had dark, brown hair, which shined in the light of her room. Her eyes were bright brown. She was tall and thin, portraying the usual model of a, well, model. She had makeup caked on her face, but it was probably because she was nervous and wanted to look as pretty as possible.

I took her hand. "Hello, Celeste," I whispered, smiling. She blushed.

"Hi, Your Majesty," she spoke, grinning. Her hair was let loose, revealing her perfect, wavy brown hair.

I waved to her maids, gesturing a goodbye. Then, I asked Celeste, "How about a walk around the gardens?"

She beamed. "Absolutely."

Once we arrived at the gardens, we strolled along the path. We didn't speak... It was sort of awkward.

Finally, Celeste interrupted the silence. "I understand how the Selection could be such a nerve-wracking experience. Like, you don't want to make the wrong decision."

Wow! She actually understood! It was so weird - I had expected some of the selected girls to come just because they wanted the crown, but Celeste already seemed so... so great.

"Exactly," I agreed. "You know, I'm so afraid that some girls will take advantage of me. How will I know if they want me, or just the crown?"

Celeste blinked. "I can't imagine anyone doing that to you," she said, stroking my face. She leaned in.

Was she she about to kiss me? I didn't know if I was prepared for it. Was I? Oh no. I kept thinking about the consequences if I kissed her, or if I even should. But while I was considering all of the options, I realized that Celeste lips touched mine.

Then, I pulled away.

Oh... Oh no.

"Celeste, I-"

She shook her head, embarrassed. "No, it's okay. It's my fault. I shouldn't have kissed you." It seemed like tears tried to escape from her eyes, but Celeste wiped them away.

Now I felt terrible. "Celeste, really, it's okay."

"No it's not. I'm a horrible person. I shouldn't have kissed you, it was stupid. I-I hate myself for it." Celeste's voice cracked.

"Celeste, don't hate yourself. It was an accident," I said.

"Prince Maxon, um, Your Majesty, I should go now." Celeste began to turn around.

By instinct, I pulled her towards me and kissed her. This time, it was more intense, more romantic. I hugged her waist and stroked her dark, smooth hair.

Finally, we both released. Her eyes seemed so hopeful, so happy.

"Prince Maxon, I-"

I laughed. "It's okay, Celeste. I'm glad you kissed me. I really enjoyed it. You're a wonderful lady."

She beamed. "Your Majesty, I-"

Again, I interrupted her. "You can call me Maxon."

"Okay, Maxon. Thank you for this lovely evening."

I nodded and walked Celeste back to her room. A smile was glued to her face the whole time.

Once we reached her door, I turned to her and said, "Celeste, thank you for everything. For understanding me, for the kiss, and everything else."

Celeste replied, "Yes. I would never take advantage of you," she said, her lips parting as she talked. "Maxon, I had an incredible night."

With a seductive smile, she blew me a kiss and walked into her room.

Then, I already knew one person I had wanted to be in the Elite.