Dealing with depression (II)

Get moving
When you're depressed, just getting out of bed can seem like a daunting task, let alone working out!

But exercise is a powerful depression fighter and one of the most important tools in your recovery arsenal.

Research shows that regular exercise can be as effective as medication for relieving depression symptoms. It also helps prevent relapse once you're well.

To get the most benefit, aim for at least 30 minutes of exercise per day. This doesn't have to be all at once and it's okay to start small.

A 10-minute walk can improve your mood for two hours.
________________________

• Your fatigue will improve if you stick with it. Starting to exercise can be difficult when you're depressed and exhausted. But research shows that your energy levels will improve if you keep with it.You will be less fatigued, not more,once it's part of your routine.

• Find exercises that are continuous and rhythmic.The most benefits for depression are rhythmic exercise such as walking, weight training,swimming, martial arts,or dancing where you move both your arms and legs.

• Add a mindfulness element, especially if your depression is rooted in unresolved trauma or fed by obsessive, negative thoughts. Focus on how your body feels as you move such as the sensation of your feet hitting the ground,or the feeling of the wind on your skin,or the rhythm of your breathing.