Chapter 2

Of all the things Milford could find conspicuous that night, he started to hear footsteps behind him. Of course, when he turned around, nobody was there, almost confirming he was going insane. This lasted for about a minute until he couldn't hold it back anymore and cried out, "Alright, I know you're there! Stop with this dumb prank, you ass!"
       About ten seconds later, he wished he hadn't said it.
       A dark figure with a big, black cloak with red, glowing eyes and sharp teeth stepped out of an alleyway. The unnamed figure said nothing at first, just stared at him with a tiny smirk.
       Milford stared back with unimaginable fear rippling in his insides.
       Then, in a harsh whisper, the figure soon said, "You should not be here, boy.... They have warned me not to tell of this, but you are in constant, grave danger if you see the visions more and more. I do not know how to avoid these kinds of things, but try not to think too hard about what might happen next. YOU MUST NOT!!"
       Milford just stood there in disbelief. He couldn't stop the confusion from slipping out of his mouth. "What the hell? Get away from me!"
       The figure just ignored him and tried to explain themselves while they still had Milford's attentiveness. "'They' are my brethren that I have been with for centuries. We can sense when people like you have those sights, which is very unlikely," said the figure. "My brethren warned me because the more it can happen, the more dangerous the world can get for you. Call me a friend if you must, but I am not exactly supposed to be like one according to my family's traditions. Everything else you will find out sooner or later."
       But Milford didn't want the figure to leave now that he had that information. He needed more answers. "Wait, wait. So you're telling me that I have a gift that has me see visions that I should just avoid in the first place? What's the point?" he asked. He couldn't believe he was accepting all of this.
       "Unfortunately, yes. But do not be worried, it should not happen again for a while. Now I shall be off."
       "Wait! You can't just-"
       "Sorry, but I must return to my home before my brothers find that I am gone. Farewell."
       "Bu-" Before Milford could object, the figure vanished into thin air like a cloud.
       Thankfully, since it was about 11:00 at night, nobody saw their conversation.
       He stood there in silence on the sidewalk for many seconds repeating the main points in their chat in his head.
       Apparently, the unknown creature could have been a psychic. He looked to be an evil individual, but it was not his passion to be one even though it was in his family.  He wanted to help Milford in the future even though it didn't really seem like he knew him personally, which lessened his interest and even made him a bit scared at the thought. Milford didn't even know his name for the love of God. He thought deep as he walked home that night on just how dangerous his future could be. He couldn't get it out of his mind. He couldn't help it. Milford was a deep thinker.
       As he unlocked the door to his parents' house while trying not to wake them up, he thought about what the next day at school would be like. He thought of how the other kids would react if the visions came up again, or if the faculty might overreact and call an ambulance. Anything could happen. Especially without much sleep.
       Milford tucked himself in and sluggishly closed his eyes and dreamed of things he wouldn't be able to remember the next day.