chapter one | the ugly truth

CHAPTER ONE | THE UGLY TRUTH

THE WORDS THAT CAME out of Elizabeth's mouth shook her mother to the core. Everything her and her husband built suddenly came crashing down once her daughter uttered the most shameful thing she could've said out loud. Different emotions flooded through her brain, if her daughter was married and older she would be so happy but Elizabeth isn't. She's a college student who has her whole life ahead of her and because of this Meredith has never been so upset nor disappointed in her daughter until today.

"You," her mother began, taking a deep breath and trying to compose herself, "You just ruined your life. You just ruined everything your father and I built. If you tell anyone about this and it ruins our family's reputation, I will rain down hell on you. Does Ryan know? If he does you two are getting married, his parents would never want such a scandal like this to come out to the media."

Elizabeth didn't know to tell her mother that her baby's father isn't Ryan, hell she didn't even know how to tell her that she broke up with Ryan last month, but she knew she had to and she knew she was going to wing it. "Ryan and I broke up last month," she murmured.

"Elizabeth you know I don't like you mumbling, speak coherently," her mother's voice laced with irritation.

Elizabeth cleared her throat, "Ryan and I broke up," she paused, "and before you tell me to get back with him just know it won't happen because the baby isn't his and he can't pretend the baby's his even if he wanted to."

Meredith frowned, trying to compose her anger, "What is that supposed to mean? Who's the father? And how can you ruin a perfect relationship like that? I worked so hard to get you two together. Do you know how hard it is to get a good person to date you?"

"The baby's father is, um, he's—"

"He's what Elizabeth, spit it out."

"He's black, mother, there I said it are you happy?"

Meredith's eyes widened, "How dare you do this to our family. How could you stoop so low like this? Didn't I raise you better?" She narrowed her eyes at her oldest daughter, "You're getting an abortion and that's final."

Elizabeth, unlike her mother, was pro-life and didn't believe in killing an innocent baby just because of inconvenience, decided to stand up for herself, "I'm not getting an abortion. I came to tell you that I was pregnant because I decided to keep my baby. Anthony and I decided to keep our baby. We already have our own place and everything. Hell Anthony told me he wants to marry me and I want to marry him."

That's when the unthinkable happened.

Meredith slapped Elizabeth across the face, "There is no way in hell my grandchild is going to be part n*****. Are you out of your mind?"

"Then consider yourself not a grandmother," Elizabeth sneered, "I don't want my children around this, it's not healthy."

"Oh, so what is this?" Meredith questioned, getting even more upset.

Elizabeth's voice cracked, "Mom, you're a racist," She took a breath, "I honestly have no idea how you can be so racist when your own husband is Spanish and so are your daughters, but you are. And before you try to defend yourself and say you aren't let me give you a reality check. You remember Sasha, right? Emmy's old best friend from elementary school, I remember her and I remember exactly what you made Emmy do. When you saw them together you told her that you didn't want her hanging around her because you thought she was a bad influence. What exactly did you say? Oh, right it was, 'people like that aren't good influences for people like you Emmy, remember that.' but mom, guess what? Emmy never stopped being friends with her. Hell Emmy's at her house right now," Elizabeth paused.

"What I'm saying is I'm done with your racist shit and I'm leaving and I'm taking Emmy with me because she doesn't need this negativity in her life anymore," Elizabeth finished.

"You can't take her, that's kidnapping." Meredith screeched.

"Kidnapping? Did you forget that she's eighteen?" Elizabeth turns towards the hallway she sees her little sister Emmy standing there with her mouth open.

"Now look at what you've done," Meredith rubs her temples as she makes her way towards Emmy but Elizabeth grabs her mother wrists.

"Emmy, I'm going to give you a choice. Do you want to come live with me or do you want to stay here with mom and dad? I know you love mom and dad but you can't keep letting yourself be controlled by her," Elizabeth offered her.

Emmy thought about it thoroughly, the pros and cons of living with her sister. Pros: she can finally breathe and break up with her longtime boyfriend Sebastian and finally be friends with the people she wants to be friends with. Cons: her relationship with her mom will forever be different and she won't be able to see her dad every day anymore and she won't eat her moms cooking again. Emmy looked at her mom, whose eyes were filled with anger, pain, and desperation. She then looked at her sister who had a pleading look on her face and Emmy then knew the answer. She knew she couldn't live with someone who hated others over things they can't control, like their skin.

"I'm moving in with Betty. I love you mom but I can't keep doing this," Emmy started, "I'll call whenever I can but I need space, I'm sorry," Emmy left the hall and made her way towards her room and Elizabeth followed her.

"Do you need help packing?" Elizabeth asked her as she opened one of her drawers.

"Yes please," Emmy smiled, "I can't believe we're actually leaving Betty."

Elizabeth laughed, "Me either," she hugged her sister, "But don't worry little sis, I'm going to teach you how to be a motherfucking woman." The two sisters laughed together.

"Did you just quote Kesha?"

"You best believe I did."

A/N: FINALLY BRO CHAPTER ONE IS OUT OMG I'M SO SORRY GUYS LIKE OAYDGIWS

IF YALL HATE ME I FULLY UNDERSTAND WHY I DEADASS WENT MIA AND IM SORRY

IM ALSO SORRY IF I CONFUSED ANY OF YOU WITH THIS CHAPTER, ELIZABETH IF NOT THE MC EMMY IS BUT I WANTED TO DIVE DEEPER INTO THE WHOLE PREGNANCY SITUATION AND I WANTED TO SHOW MEREDITH'S TRUE COLORS OFF THE BAT.

idk why I'm talking in caps but anyway yes Meredith is a racist and I really wanted to bring that to light because I don't think I made that clear in the previous version of reputation.

I also wanted to slow things down so it would seem a little more realistic.

anywho, I hope you all enjoyed this chapter!!!