2. The Fire is Bright, but Jealousy Glows the Brightest of All

My parents had their bathroom, and I was given my own, which I figured they only did to compensate for the dread of this summer. I admit that having my own bathroom isn't the worst thing in the world. I can spend as long as I want in the shower, or fix my make-up for however long that I want. There is no one who can knock on my door and tell me to hurry up here.

So far, that's my only upside to camp.

As I applied my second layer of mascara, I heard Blake's voice echoing throughout the cabin. "Alicia?"

"Almost ready, just give me two minutes!" I called back, and she replied with an okay. Blake isn't as terrible as I originally thought. As soon as she moved past the whole "camp is great" and "you're practically a celebrity" phase, she turned out to be a lot like me. We are both seventeen, both have an obsession with fashion and beauty, and have similar interests when it comes to movies and music. So far, the teens out here aren't so different from teens in Manhattan.

Well, as judged by talking to just one person.

We had walked around the campground talking about our likes and dislikes. I told her about my love of photography, which is what I want to do with my life, while she has high hopes of becoming a marine biologist. The water had always been her sense of serenity whether it be a pool, a lake, or a bath, and her fond love of animals has pushed her in the direction of such a profession.

Blake even told me about the campfire that is being held tonight at Camp Wasserfest. At the beginning of the summer, they hold a huge campfire in the park square and everyone goes to it. She even offered to walk me there, so that we can hang out a bit more to which I surprised myself by agreeing to.

I took a final glance at the mirror, feeling a lot more beautiful than when I first landed here. I traded my halter top in for a plain, white boyfriend tee, and my shorts for a pair of skinny jeans. There is no way I'm taking off my orange flip-flops, though. They are too new and cute for me to take off.

I hurried out of the bathroom and found Blake wearing the same thing as when I met her — a peasant blouse and high-waisted shorts. She seemed to notice the discrepancy, as well. With her eyebrows once again raised in question, she asked, "You changed?"

I shrugged my shoulders and bit my bottom lip. "I guess it's a Manhattan thing?"

I walked into my bedroom and grabbed my military green, army jacket, wrapping it around my waist. You know, just in case the fire is a total dud and I get cold.

"How many times a day do you change over in Manhattan?" she asked, as I stood in front of the mirror in my bedroom for a final look of approval. With a nod, I grabbed my phone and shoved it in my pocket before returning to Blake.

"Maybe three?" I shrugged, and rushed us out of the door. It isn't that I'm excited for the campfire. I just have nothing else to do here. Georgina and Addison should be arriving at the party right about now, so it's not like I'd have anyone to even video chat with if I stayed back at the cabin.

Blake told me that the walk to the fire from the location of our cabins is only about ten minutes and forty-five seconds, which she would know from having spent so many summers here. Blah, blah, blah. We stepped in sync, talking about all things cinematic from Legally Blonde to V is for Vendetta. The walk did not take as long as expected, and it seemed almost as pleasant as a trip with Georgina to H&M.

We arrived at the campfire and I fell shocked at the sight of it. The fire circled around an entire block and towered as high as a New York skyscraper. It was far from what I expected. I thought there would be a tiny fire with maybe a couple dozen chairs surrounding it, but my vision fled far from reality. The crowd made it seem like PSY was standing there in the flesh, dancing and singing, like he had just gone viral. I didn't even think that there are so many other people imprisoned in this insect-prone land, like me.