Chapter 3 - The Hogwarts Express

"Platform 9 ¾?" I questioned, feeling confused. I'd had the ticket for weeks but had only just properly looked at it.

Ginny nodded. "Hidden from Muggles, of course. You'll see when we get there,"

The rest of the morning was a flurry of activity as we all scrambled to get everything packed and loaded into the Anglia. It took Fred hiding Percy's prefect badge, Arthur almost breaking his neck down the stairs, and Ginny forgetting her diary before we finally left. I stared out of the window as The Burrow disappeared from view. Goodbye for now, I thought. It had become my home in only a few short weeks. The sun had only recently come up, filling the Anglia with morning light. It was about a three hour drive to King's Cross Station, a silent drive as everyone caught up on sleep from the early morning wake up. 

I felt groggy as Arthur announced we were there, pulling the car roughly into a park. Molly was out of the car at once barking orders and pulling out trunks. Fred and George returned obediently with a bunch of trolleys which we quickly loaded with our suitcases. 

"Let's go, quickly!" shouted Mrs. Weasley. Percy led the way with his brand new owl and shiny prefect badge on display. We got to the Platform Nine barrier in a big group, each pushing a heavy trolley. The platform was teeming with people, and I wondered where on Earth we would find the platform that would take us to the magical train. Percy had already disappeared.

"Over here, dear," Mrs. Weasley said to me, gesturing towards the barrier. I stood beside her and watched as Fred and George walked straight into the solid brick barrier with their trolleys, completely disappearing. I stared at the space where they had been seconds ago with my mouth open in shock. "Girls, I'll take you in, and Harry and Ron, come through with Arthur,"

"Okay," I said, turning to face the barrier. I felt a bit silly - surely I couldn't walk through bricks! What if this was all a mistake and I couldn't get through? That would be awkward, and wildly disappointing. "How does this work?

Ginny grabbed my hand and told me, "You just walk through. Mum always says it's better to do it at a run if you're worried. But you don't be scared, you're a witch! You'll be able to go to the other side,"

She then pulled me towards the barrier before I could think about it too much, and we ran through together, with Mrs. Weasley just behind us. Seconds later, we burst out the other side and the scene before me changed dramatically.

Instead of a bustling hubbub of Muggle business men in suits and ladies in dresses, this platform was filled with witches and wizards of all ages, carrying spell books, wands, and pushing luggage trolleys topped with cages containing a variety of animals. Owls hooted to each other as toads croaked, while their owners shouted with delight upon seeing their friends again. Behind the crowds was a scarlet red train, the words Hogwart's Express written on the front in green. I glanced up at the sign behind me - platform 9 ¾!

Mr Weasley suddenly came barrelling through the barrier, and gently pushed us forward. "Quickly girls! Get on the train, we only have a few minutes,"

Mrs Weasley nodded, "I'll send a letter tomorrow. Good luck for the Sorting. You'll be fine, no matter what happens. Goodbye, have a great year!" She gave us a quick hug each, and Arthur patted my back as I rushed past.

"Where's Harry and Ron?" I questioned, spotting Fred and George just ahead of us.

"No idea," replied Ginny. "Does it matter?"

We shared a glance and then sprinted to the carriage in front of us, Ginny calling out to her older brothers. They turned and helped us haul our heavy suitcases in. After all of our belongings were safely stowed, we hurried off in search of an empty compartment. Eventually we found Hermione sitting alone, nose buried in a large book.