3. Maybe Someday.

Zak Bagans

I said nothing as I walked out of the house. I pushed my glasses up on my nose, let out a heavy sigh, and closed the door. I looked up at the house, the beautiful home was sickened with an indescribable horror, and nobody in their right mind would dare to test it. But I did, and I killed her.

Well, almost.

-

Allie went still after what seemed like days. It had only been hours of Father Ashcraft screaming at whatever or whoever was attempting to capture Allies soul for it to escape, and leave her body. And when Allies screaming subsided, the house went eerily still. Our hands stayed latched onto her body, keeping her to the ground with such force, I knew I was going to leave bruises. The shattered camera lay at the side of the room, much like my dignity. Allies auburn hair cloaked her head like a robe, and her chest motioned with the sound of breathing. Up, down. Up, down. I was thankful for that. I looked at Father Ashcraft, not knowing what to do. Suddenly, a crackling – much like a witches laughter was heard. My head snapped up in the direction of the crackling. I stood up slowly as a black mist emerged from one of the side doors. I was frozen.

It slowly cloaked the floor, the only person it seemed to be aiming for it Allie. I wanted to defend her, I truly did. But my body was stuck. The mist slowly cloaked Allie, in seconds it seemed – her body was no longer visible, and I broke from my state. I heard Allie making the sounds as if she were coking. “NO!” I screamed, pushing my hands through the mist – only to be greeted by a burning sensation that erupted through my arms. I pulled my arms away quickly, only to find the beginnings of scratch marks clouding my arms. I breathed hard. What could I do? I looked around the room, there was nothing to protect Allie with that was physical. “Do your bible thingy!” I yelled out of spur of the moment. Father Ashcraft didn't look like himself, his eyes were white, and the look he was giving me was completely inhuman. Suddenly he turned, and stormed upstairs.

My attention turned back to Allie. I shoved my hands through the mist again, doing my best to ignore the burning sensation. I felt Allies shirt, I pulled it, but she didn't seem to budge. I tried screeching prayers, but that didn't work either. I didn't know what do to – panic consumed me. I stood up, walking backwards until my back banged against the wall, and I fell to my knees. I watched Allie get consumed by this mist, and there wasn't a damned thing I could do about it.

It felt like hours until the mist finally disappeared when the sun came up. Allie's clothes seemed to be ripped to pieces, I slid across the floor on my knees and grabbed her. I pulled her unconscious body into a hug. At this point, I still didn't know what to do. I didn't know if she was hurt – and I couldn't call the ambulance. I could picture it now, “911 what's your emergency?” “Yeah, I was doing a paranormal investigation of the Exorcist house and yeah so this girl that I think is really cute got attacked by an evil entity that included an exorcism but I don't know if she's okay do you think you could come because I think she's dying okay bye.” Are you kidding me? The paramedics would probably think I'm psychotic.

I shook her, which was probably not the best idea. I screamed her name, and the boys at base must have heard me, because their feet pounded down the slick stairs. “Zak?!” They yelled, “Hey – are you alright?” Their eyes looked at me, and then fell to Allie. I could feel their expressions. “What the hell happened?! After the camera went out we tried to get inside the house but the door wouldn't open!” I shook my head.

“I don't know,” I let out slowly, “Shit happened down here, man. I don't know. It's fucking crazy.” Nick said nothing as he looked at me, his eyes then dodging around the room.

“Where's Father Ashcraft?” Nick asked.

“He went upstairs when the mist appeared around Allie. I'm not sure where he went. I think he might of went upstairs..” I slowly stopped talking, and my eyes went wide. The Bedroom. Oh god no. This cannot be happening. “Go get him! Hurry!” I yelled. With that, Aaron and Nick sprinted upstairs. I lifted Allie into my arms, and hauled ass to get her up the stairs. I opened the door, and Billy met me at the door.

“Take her to base, I have to go find Father Ashcraft before he's gone.” I implied.

“What?!” Billy asked confused. I didn't reply, handed Allie off like a rag-doll, and ran up the stairs. I could hear Aaron screaming – and that was something that I heard often. I hauled ass upstairs, and ran into the bedroom. Father Ashcraft was facing the wall, and seemed to be mumbling to himself.

“He won't listen to us!” Nick exclaimed, “He's...” I didn't care what he was doing. I walked around the bed, grabbed Father Ashcraft by his neck – nearly choking him. I pulled him out of the room, and out of the house. I didn't care anymore.

I was fucking ready to leave.

Allies POV

I wasn't sure what had happened last night – I remember standing in the bedroom where the little boy was possessed and then blackness. I let out a sigh as I sipped my over-flavored coffee at the breakfast table. I stood up and looked out the window at the house. It seemed eerily still this morning. I witnessed a man dressed in all black, gaudy belt, and hair gelled to perfection trudge his way through the cold air and damp grass. He was coming this way. I looked like crap, but I didn't care. I opened the front door and weakly smiled as he walked up the concrete steps to my house. “Morning, Allie.” Zak weakly smiled at me.

“Morning, Zak.” I replied. Zak walked slowly into the house, and took me into a hug. My head on his chest, he smelled like cologne.

“I'm sorry.” Zak whispered. “The investigation last night didn't go how I expected it.”

“It's okay.” I replied, “I don't even remember what happened.” Zak went still and pulled away.

“You don't?” Zak questioned surprised.

“no,” I replied simply, “Will you fill me in?”

“No.” Zak said, “Maybe someday. But not now. I have to catch my flight. I'll keep in touch.”

And with that, he was gone.