Chapter 2

Finally, as I'm sitting with my head in my hands and trying desperately not to have a total breakdown, my wolf makes an appearance.

We've found him! We've found him!

She's such a happy, upbeat animal, that it almost makes me smile. If I wasn't angry at her for not responding to me earlier.

Where exactly were you missy?

Oh me? Well, I was meeting our mate of course! Or rather, his wolf.

What?

His wolf is in a lot of pain, but I think he could sense me. So I stayed with him for a while to comfort him.

I sigh at my caring wolf. All too often, I believe she is too good for this cruel world. But I know underneath all of her goodness, she can be fierce. We're a lot alike, from what Val tells me.

He's going to be out for a while, I can tell you that much.

Her voice is low and sad now, as opposed to the joyful tone she used earlier. It makes me ache to know that she's upset, even though I was just annoyed with her.

When are you going to visit him?

I...I need to collect myself first. And I have other patients I need to check on.

It's not a total lie, but I'm not even sure why I bothered. I know she sees right through it.

Bullshit! He needs us! He was ambushed and left for dead. How would you feel if the roles were reversed?

I am momentarily stunned at her anger. She's never shown such aggression, especially towards me. We have always had a mutual understanding of each other, and a massive amount of respect. Despite my shock, I know she's right in a way. I would feel like trash if my....mate...were to avoid me when I needed him most. But at the same time, my entire life has just changed, and I don't know how to handle that. In spite of all of this, I really need to check on a few of my patients.

I'm sorry, she says when I don't respond. I shouldn't have yelled at you. It's just...I've waited my entire- our entire life for him and now he's here! He's finally here! I know you're afraid, but I also know you're curious.

The childlike excitement in her voice makes me feel worse for denying her this.  And because she knows me so well, she knows exactly how to convince me to do what she wants.

Do you trust me?

What?

Do you trust me?

I hesitate, but only to mess with her a little. She's purposely using my favorite line between Aladdin and Princess Jasmine against me.

Yes.

Then go to him. I've met his wolf and he's lovely. He is a rogue, but not in the way you think. I don't know if Xander has talked to him yet, so he may not be aware that we've found him.

I can't help but smile at the adoration in her voice. It's adorable how much she sounds like a lovestruck teenager. Even though I'm nervous, not to mention scared out of my mind, I agree to keep an open mind and to see him, but only after I'm satisfied my other patients are doing okay. Mate or not, I won't put a potentially dangerous stranger before my pack.

When I feel her presence recede in my mind, I sigh.

Once.

Twice.

A third time.

I rake my fingers through my hair as I attempt to think calming, sensible thoughts in the midst of this strange turn of events.  My life will never be the same, and the knowledge of that makes me feel an emotion I can't describe.  Is it excitement?  Fear?  Or simply confusion?  After all, I'm new at this.  I don't exactly know how I'm supposed to feel, or think, or any of those things.  Okay, I'll admit I'm being a bit dramatic.  But all I've ever known for the last six years is science.  Good ole, black and white science.   While those around me were finding their mates and beginning families, I was learning to be a healer, and a good doctor to my pack members.  This is new territory for me, but I'll be damned if I don't move forward level-headed.