Chapter 5

One day later...

Even though Freya assured me that Blake is harmless, and Alpha had his cuffs removed, I'm still hesitant about going to see him today. It's not just "Oh my Goddess he's my mate!" nerves, it's fearful nerves too. I don't know how he'll react, or if he will be happy to see me. I don't know anything, which is terrifying for a doctor. I'm not used to not having answers. Even Freya's brief file does little to settle my anxiety.

Pushing down my nerves, I enter my element. The hospital.

I check on Emma and the baby and then do my normal rounds. I get swept up in the afternoon training injuries, so I'm forced to push back when I'll face Blake. Not that I'm really complaining. I have Val and the other nurses keep me updated about him, however. Just because I'm a little afraid to go see him doesn't mean I don't want to know how he's doing. He is my patient after all.

And your mate.

I roll my eyes at Mrs. Hormonal Teenage Wolf in my head as I bandage up a bad cut on a young male.

"Back again I see" I muse to the familiar boy.

"Yeah...dad won't be too happy when he hears about this," he states, his brown hair flopping into his eyes as he looks down.

"You're right about that one, I had to reassure him that you were just fine yesterday, there's no telling how he'll take this." I say, referring to the large warrior from yesterday.

"He's never going to let me actually become a pack warrior," he states sadly, his voice resembling that of a small child.

I frown slightly at his turn of mood.

"Hey, he loves you kiddo. Remember that. Sometimes people do things out of love to protect us without realizing they're also hurting us." I advise.

He looks up, dark green eyes holding my own.

"Really?" He asks, unsure.

"Really. Just give it time. Every wolf goes through a rough patch, especially in Beta's class." I reassure, lowering my voice for the next part. "You should see the injuries he used to get."

His eyes light up at that.

"My dad used to get bad injuries too?" He asks, eyes wide.

"That's right," I nod, "No one is born perfect. You've got to build up to it."

He's silent as I continue assessing his wounds, all healing as I do.

"Hmm...I never thought of it that way." He says, scratching the back of his neck.

"Keep your head up, and be more careful." I tease, moving on to my next injured warrior.

"Thanks Doc!" He yells, running out the door as soon as I step away.

..........

After a long day of bandages, x-rays, and blood, I'm finally done for the night. Which means now it's time for me to check on my m- Blake. Yeah, still not so sure what to call him. It feels strange calling him Blake when he's both my mate and my patient. Not to mention, I haven't even met him yet I know his name and his medical history.

Okay, so I may have spent a few hours last night memorizing his file, and the rest of the night dreaming about him.

Totally normal, right?

Val hasn't asked too many questions about it all, but I know she's suspicious. Especially when Beta Samuel came to take off his cuffs. It's the first time a rogue has been allowed into the pack hospital - without any restraints, as well. I would be shocked to hear of a rogue being treated at all!