Chapter 1: The Queen's Spider, The Dog's Butler

"Your highness," a tall, dark figure started, stepping through the door to the Earl Trancy's study. "Her majesty's messenger dropped by earlier today to deliver this for you." He gently set a large file down upon the lord's desk. The man happened to be Earl Alois Trancy's butler, Claude: an emotionless demon whom Alois adored so dearly. The boy had a strange attachment to his butler although it wasn't as strange as one might think, considering his past.

"What's this?" the earl snapped, sliding the file closer and flipping through the pages.

"I believe it is a case from her majesty, your highness." the butler replied in his colorless voice and with his typical blank expression.

Alois simply narrowed his eyes at the butler's answer and continued to turn through the pages. The file consisted of lists of names and contacts among a description of the current findings of the case: several bloody murders, victims ripped limb from limb, all linked by their support of a certain proposition, eight current suspects...

The boy slammed the folder shut. "What does this have to do with me? Isn't solving this the Phantomhive's responsibility?"

"I suggest you might read further, your highness..." Claude answered, pushing his glasses up on his nose. "Her Majesty is not asking you to solve the case in the slightest."

Alois sighed and reopened the folder to the Queen's request of him:

Dearest Earl Trancy,
The current events that have taken place are a result of a member of Parliament. Only three of the suspects that the yard has discovered are within the Parliament. The Earl Phantomhive is currently investigating into the matter. However, it would be a great calamity if it were discovered that members of the Parliament could be targeting such individuals. I do hope that you could find some way to stop such a disaster from occurring. Please, weave your magic web...
With love,
Her Majesty, Queen Victoria

After he had finished reading through the request, he glanced up at the butler. "She wants me to cover for the culprit." he said, clearly uninterested. "Unfortunately, solving this will require conference with the Phantombrat." But... suddenly, his mouth began to curve into a smirk. "This might be an opportunity, Claude... An opportunity for you to grant my wish..." the boy almost sang as he hopped up from his chair. "Inform the Phantomhive Manor at once that we will be visiting!"

***

"My lord, is something wrong?" the Phantomhive butler, Sebastian Michaelis, questioned with a twinge of slight concern as he looked down at his master's expression. "You seem a bit upset."

Ciel Phantomhive had just opened his corresponding letter from Her Majesty informing him of the help he was meant to receive from Alois Trancy. Such news was quite displeasing as he didn't care much for the other earl. "Indeed." he replied in a matter-of-fact manor.

Sebastian casually glanced at the letter in his lord's hands and immediately knew what had caused the earl's mood to sour. "Ah, I see you've opened Her Majesty's letter. I had just come to inform you of Trancy's call to visit this afternoon." The butler was slightly amused by his master's displeasure at the Trancy boy's company. Ciel cared not one bit for the other and he had a good reason to. Sebastian, on the other hand, didn't mind the boy so much. Despite his vicious facade, Trancy was as harmless as a butterfly even if his goal was to take Ciel. He didn't feel threatened by the boy at all. In fact, he almost pitied the boy. Claude may have been an excellent demon, but he was a creature of lies and deception and there was no doubt that the boy was being wrapped into his web.

"This afternoon?" Ciel repeated in shock before letting out a deep sigh. "Very well. Sebastian, prepare a room for our guests and assure that the other servants haven't destroyed anything that will require fixing before tonight."

"As you wish, my lord." the butler responded with a bow before slipping out to make preparations.

***

Hey everyone! So this was kind of an introduction to the plot of my story. I hope you enjoyed reading it and that you're interested in what comes next. Please, feel free to give me any kind of feedback or thoughts on the story. I'd love to hear from you!