Chapter 2: The Visitors

The young blonde earl hummed as he took Claude's hand and hopped from the carriage, skipping up to the door of the Phantomhive residence. As he parked in front of the door, he turned back slightly to give Claude a teasing smile.

"Claude, knock." the boy spoke, pointing a finger towards the door. "Hurry up! I'm waiting."

"As you wish, your highness..." The tall, emotionless butler gently pushed the glasses up the bridge of his nose with a small, almost unnoticeable sigh and stepped forward, knocking twice on the door.

The two waited for a moment before the door slowly creaked open and a short, elderly man gave them a cute, elderly man smile.

"Hoh hoh hoh..." the older gentleman voiced cheerfully. The guests' eyes widened at the man. He didn't seem too well off in the head.

Alois nudged Claude's side with his elbow, continuing to return the older man's cheerful smile. The butler simply turned his eyes downward towards his master and then directed them back to the gentleman in the doorway.

"Good evening, Sir." Claude tilted his upper body into a bow, placing a hand over his chest. "My highness has official business with the Lord Phantomhive."

The little man continued to stare at them, his smile unchanging. There was a long pause before the man finally spoke up again. "Hoh hoh hoh..."

Both master and butler furrowed their brows, but right at that moment another figure appeared behind the old man and placed a hand on his shoulder. Alois glanced up at the new appearance and scoffed inwardly. It was none other than Sebastian Michaelis, the target of his revenge.

"Ah, Good Evening." The pale, black-haired demon returned to the guests an elegant smile and bowed deeply. "I apologize for our butler Tanaka, here. He has a certain speech deficiency. Please, do come in." The Phantomhive butler pulled the door a bit wider and stood back, motioning them to enter.

The smaller boy flipped his hair as he took a step through the door and paused in front of Sebastian. "You..." he started, reaching up to run his fingers through the man's hair. "... have a hair out of place." He casually took his fingers and flicked the hair from the butler's face and giggled before he continued to move through the doorway, turning his head toward Claude.

"What an incompetent butler!" he sang without any restraint. "Greeting guests with disheveled hair? Why, even those useless triplets wouldn't do that!"

***

The boy's actions had slightly shocked Sebastian. Alois was much more outgoing and free-spirited than his own master. He wasn't used to such playfulness and cheer. But he simply shook off the boy's lively criticism and shut the door.

"Welcome. My lord has been expecting you." He commented, turning back around. "Follow me right this way and I'll take you to the master's study." The butler tilted his head and turned on his heels, beginning to lead them down the hall.

He could hear the loud clicking of heels as the Earl Trancy began to follow. Such shoes on such a boy made him chuckle quietly to himself. The little earl was so flamboyant. It seemed rather amusing to him. As they walked along, he listened quietly to the boy try to hold a conversation with his butler.

"Claude, look at that vase! Isn't it absolutely hideous?" Alois shouted.

"Yes, your highness..." came the simple response from his butler.

"And those drapes! They're so dreary!"

"Yes, your highness..."

It was quite obvious to Sebastian that Claude held little interest in the boy as a person. He was merely a meal to the other demon. Although, that should have been no surprise. Demons weren't supposed to come to like their prey. But for some reason, he almost pitied the boy. To be stuck with a demon like Claude...

"Ah, here we are!" The butler stopped in front of a large, intricate door and rapped on it gently. "My lord?"

"Enter." a short, gruff reply came from within the room and the butler pushed the door open slowly.

***
Hey there, Readers! I know the exciting parts haven't come yet and you're probably anxious for me to get there. I promise they're coming up, but I want to make sure to develop plot and character first. ;)

Anyhow, comment and vote! I want to hear your feedback and predictions! Any suggestions are always welcome, as well. I will look at them and take them into consideration.