This Friendship Bracelet

Do you remember this friendship bracelet?

We were ten.

By then, we'd have only known each other for a total of three years. Not too long, but long enough for me to have developed an attachment of some sort.

If my memory serves me right, we had a bit of a spat. I was waiting for you and you were taking too long. We had planned to go to the park that day. And after half an hour of waiting, I decided to just go alone.

And my, my, was I surprised to see you already there.

I was quite shy back then (who am I kidding, I still am), but it was as if I was struck with some kind of lightning. I marched right up to you, in front of all the boys you were playing with. Do you remember what I said? I actually don't, but all I remember is that I was yelling, and you told me to be quiet.

That was the first time – out of many – that you made me cry.

Exactly a week later, my mom had knocked on my bedroom door, telling me that I had a visitor. Now that I think about it, I should have expected it to be you. But, I thought you didn't want to be my friend anymore, so I assumed it was someone else. Silly me.

You gave me this bracelet as a peace offering. Do you remember what you promised me?

"Together forever, okay?"

Funny.