That Plane Ride

Do you remember that plane ride?

We were seven.

It had been months since we first met. Our parents have been friends way before we first saw each other, though. And since they missed each other so much, they planned a vacation as soon as they got the chance to.

I remember the first time they mentioned anything about going on holiday together was on the first dinner we all had since your family moved here.

Anyway, that was my first time on a plane. And I had been so excited, as you can see on the photo. But that quickly faded once take off was about to commence. Oh God, I was terrified.

It was a very small plane, so we were seated by twos. We were sat next to each other, while our parents sat on the row behind ours.

It was awkward at first, because we weren't friends yet. But that changed once you saw the look on my face. You asked me if I was scared, and I nodded.

That was the first time you smiled at me.

You began trying to make me laugh, pulling all the silly faces you can think of. You did everything your seven-year-old self could, just to get my mind off of my fear.

Ever since that day, you claimed the spot in my heart reserved for a best friend.

And you never left that spot ever since.