Chapter 30: News

-NINA'S POV-

Showing Mia the exit, I stayed back a bit, taking my time wandering through the tunnel, ambling so as to wait and pick up pieces of the boy's conversation.

"Woah mate. Tone down the lovey shit." Came Cory's distinct voice. I smiled proudly to myself, deciding it would be rude to keep listening in, then continued skipping through the wall-gap after Mia. I caught up with her quickly and lead her towards our register room, room 24 with Ms Blunt.

As the teacher's name suggested, she was not the happiest one that school threw our way. She played the part of the typical unmarried middle-aged woman, often seen with her various cats in her picture frames on her desk. Her boring monotone of her voice sent you straight to sleep despite the bitter look in her eyes commanding respect. As an English teacher, teaching teenage delinquents about Shakespeare's masterpieces, it was clear she had her work set out for her. 

We approached the locked classroom door and observed the sign with a snort. The words were clearly stated on a sign, warning us that there was to be "only seriousness beyond this point!"

Mia looked up at the empty corridor next in surprise, figuring others would show up to join us soon, she turned to me.

"So..." she began lazily, "what classes do we have today?"

I took out my timetable and pondered over it, showing it to my new friend. Looking at the column fro Monday morning, Mia read out loud.

"Art, Geography, Break, Biology and English. Nice!"

"Ya, its a pretty chilled day today. You're lucky." I smiled at her enthusiasm. Once she would be in geo... she would probably regret even showing up for school. My distaste for the subject must have been evident as she chuckled.

Behind us, a rough panting noise became louder and louder. The person sounded genuinely out of breath and had collapsed against the wall, letting it hold their weight up and stabilize themselves.

Slowly and cautiously I turned my head around to observe the person that was so obviously out of breath. "Nika?" My eyes grew wide at the realisation. She kept tugging at the end of her jumper,  stretching the strings alternatively in quick succession. I looked in the direction that Nika had just come running from and noticed a badly bruised person, who's face was unreadable and un-seeable as their back had just turned. Judging by their attire, they were male. Overdressed in a large navy trench-like coat. I looked at him first, then at Nika who had relaxed as my stare had been directed off her. Quickly looking back I saw a small smear of blood at the edge of her wrist, which happened to be the exact place where she had tried to hide with her jumper, automatically I took in into the palm of my hand and examined it for any cuts. But it was only blood, red cakey drying blood. From someone else...

Out of nowhere I was nudged in the side by Mia's elbow and I let go if the hand just in time to see more people who must have arrived while I was focused on my bestie, all looking expectantly at the other end of the hallway, where my favourite teacher was coming into our view.

Miss Blunt strode down the corridor, looking mismatched. Her odd ruby red corset-like top was strangely paired with a green floor length nanny skirts adorned with too many frills. Her favourite black muddy gum boots topped the look off. Everyone's faces were twisted in disappointment as well as disapproval. It went as far as Mia's face scrunching up and silently whispering "this is our form tutor?" All I could do was solemnly nod back to her, as the teacher was getting closer and closer to the door. Already wishing it was break time. I sighed knowing it was going to be a long day.

_____

Mr Pat glared menacingly at my geography class, landing on Mia's expectantly glowing face. She looked so smart and actually interested to learn.