King C (25)

Chapter twenty-five: King C:

"Chris?"

"What you doing here?"

"This is Wal-Mart, what do you mean what am I doing here?" I didn't like how excited she looked. She was still just as pretty as she was at school, but the only thing it did was remind me of my mistakes.

Her blonde hair was pulled back in a bun, I could see the front of her hairline almost looked. . . red? Or ginger, I should say. Maybe it was a trick of the light?

I sighed. "Ashlynn, were done. We haven't spoken in a month or so, I thought this was obvious. And don't look so hurt, we were never an item and this was kind of inevitable." I didn't like the way she was staring at me, with tears welling up in her eyes. It was making me feel like this was my fault. And maybe it was, for choosing someone who had even more issues than me.

"Ashlynn," I said firmly.  "We're done, finished, over. Stop." A strange expression took over her face. It looked almosf like she had totally unfocused for a second.  Then she slid back into herself. I wasn't completly sure of what I had seen.

"You can't leave me, Chris. I'm made for you, you need me." I grabbed the first paper towel roll I saw and started to back away.

"Ashlynn, goodbye." I turned and speed walked away, I didn't even turn when she started yelling,

"You're with that bxtch Veronica aren't you?"

"Yes I am!" I called back, hoping she would stop once and for all. She screeched something back but I blocked it out and jogged over to the checkout line. Maybe Ashlynn would finally leave me the hxll alone. Our little 'relationship' pretty much guaranteed a messy ending, but this wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be. At least Veronica wasn't here, Ashlynn might've punched her. Or well, more than likely, the other way around.

But wait, Veronica was probably making out with Todd in a dark room right now so--

"Cash or credit?" The teenage cashier asked. "Cash." I grunted, pulling out a crumpled bill from my pocket. She smiled at me, she had a dimple in her left cheek that popped as she smiled. "Thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart." She handed me my receipt. I barely glanced at it. Stuffing it in my pocket, I muttered a "Have a goodnight," to the girl at the register and turned out of the store.

★-★-★-★-★

When I got back to the party, they were still in full throw. I went in the direction of the kitchen, passing through trongs of people as a I tried to get in there. That nerdy looking girl was back in there with a few guys. "Hey," They all turned around. I tossed the paper towel roll to one of the guys. "Clean that up." I pointed to the spill on the floor. The guy looked at me like he wanted to argue but I spun on my heel and strode away before he could say something.

I weaved through people again, fighting my way through. I pushed open the sliding glass door and noticed people were still sitting in groups. What else I saw almost made me wish I haven't come outside.

Veronica was grinding on this Todd dude and he had his arms around her waist. She was laughing.

This was the last fxcking straw. He could whisper all the sweet nothings he wanted to her, he could look as hard as he wanted at her, but he was not going to put his hands, feet, or dick anywhere near her. He better think again. Veronica was mine.

I angrily strod over to him. "Hey axxhole!" I called. He turned and smirked. "'Sup."

"'Sup' me one more fxcking time. I may not have mentioned this earlier, but I forgot to tell you, my name is Chris and get the fxck away from my girlfriend." Veronica was looking on, surprise masking her face. I didn't know if she was surpised at my outburst or surprised that I had come over. It didn't matter, I wasn't paying her any mind.