Interrogation (Chapter 10)

"You were experimented on by HYDRA." Nick Fury looked dubiously at Y/N eyeing her up and down. She nodded, mouth clamped firmly shut. Her superiors in HYDRA had told her the night before that it would be okay to volunteer some information, but only if necessary. Pietro stood in the corner of the glass room. The glass had been tinted with some unknown tech that shielded her from prying eyes. 

Y/N had started to look upon Pietro with less hate, now that she knew him a bit better. He had been assigned to her, watching her at every waking minute, even having to move into the dorm beside hers. He had been stiff the first few days, barring her from doing much, not even her work. After some arguing back and forth though, Maximoff had relented and let Y/N go to the training room. She had filled her days in the training facility, but Pietro decided to let her into one other place. The library. He had led her over to the books that were in Russian, as Y/N had explained to him how she couldn't read as well in English as she could in her native tongue, Russian. 

The book that she had found was One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich. She found the pain and survival themes described related to her life nicely. She had read some to Pietro out loud, not noticing when he studied her face, blue eyes scanning over her E/C ones. He had moved steadily closer to her when she was reading, but whenever they touched, they would both jump back.

"День без темного облака. Почти счастливый день."*

The one quote that stuck with her. The one that was rolling around in Y/N's head, it's sharp edges jabbing into the soft tissue. Almost a happy day. She had had a lot of those at the Hydra base. 

"What did they give you?" Y/N looked at him incredulously, acting as if she didn't know what Fury was asking about. When she didn't answer, Fury looked up from her file. "What powers?" He clarified.

"Superstrength and hypersensitivity. Or, in other words, my senses are heightened to an almost impossible amount."  Pietro looked at Y/N, really looked at her. 

"Hype?"  He breathed. Y/N tensed, nails digging into her palm, drawing blood. Red seeped into the crack between her nail and her skin, coating her fingertips. Pietro closed his mouth into a straight line, pressing his lips together. He remembered her name on the leaderboard. She was shoved off of the top spot by him and his sister. Maximoff had heard about her rage towards the staff of the HYDRA base after she found out that she had been bested. 

"How long were you there for?" Fury asked, checking the screen beside him to see that the recording that he was making of the conversation was running without a hitch. 

"I can't remember. Before age four, at least. I was experimented on when I was eight." Fury nodded. He looked up.

"How would you feel if you were to work with others like you?" Y/N was taken aback. She hadn't expected that. Work with others? She didn't do that very well. Her shock must have shown on her face, as Director Fury smirked. "I'm talking about training with the Avengers. You could be promoted to a special operative with the right training." Y/N's face broke into a real smile. The thought of training with all of the people, even Pietro. She could get closer to them. Closer to completing the mission. She suddenly became aware of how much happiness she was allowing herself to feel. She quickly composed herself. 

"I would like that very much." 

~~~I~~~I~~~

*День без темного облака. Почти счастливый день. = A day without a dark cloud. Almost a happy day.

So I finished another chapter! I'm sorry its short, but it felt as if it should be cut off here. 

Thanks for waiting!

You Didn't See That Coming,

Starbird