Prologue

She ran through the woods, realizing with panic that the footsteps behind her were getting closer. She had to run, she told herself inwardly, run faster. She didn't think she could make it much further, but she had to. She couldn't let them catch her. She wasn't one to give in easily or without a fight. She was going to run and run and run until she lost them.

Suddenly, the footsteps stopped and she slowed down to a stop, hoping to God that she'd really lost them. When she didn't see or hear anything nearby, she sighed with relief. Starting in the opposite direction, she continued toward the safe house where her family was currently living, hopefully safe from anything that could mean them any harm.

As soon as she reached the borders of the safe house, she could sense something was wrong. As she walked inside slowly, there was a stillness in the air.

"Mom? Dad? Anyone?" she called out but all that responded was silence.

As she started to turn around, she heard once again the footsteps she had been trying to run from all along. Before she knew what was happening, she heard a deafening gunshot, accompanied by an excruciating pain spreading down her back. The source of the shot was a tall dark-haired man with a gun in his hand, still aimed at her. The man was a stranger, so he had to be someone new they had hired to get rid of her, after torturing her of course.

That was the day her entire world fell apart, and nothing was ever the same again.