Prologue (Part 1)

I was excited.

With my backpack on my back, stuffed with things I thought I'd need, and numerous layers of clothing covering my body, I felt I was almost ready. I looked over my boots and tried to rub out a scuff mark with the sleeve of my coat. It didn't work, but I put them on anyway.

Time for the last step in my preparation.

I raised the large, sharp kitchen knife in one hand and gripped my silky shoulder-length hair with the other. I brought the knife close to my head and pulled my hair across the blade. It sheared off quickly, and I wanted to pause, but if I stopped to think about it I might back out. And there was no backing out in the games I played.

I cut until there was a small pile of hair on the floor. I shook my head and brushed stray blonde strands off my shoulders. I ran my hand through my hair the way I had seen boys do, imitating their motion. I had been working on it for weeks, all building up to this. I stood by my huge window, large enough to jump out of. Which, coinciden-not-tally, was my plan.

I threw the window open and planted my heavily booted feet slightly apart. I took a deep breath and glanced back at my door. No lights, no noises. Perfect.

I whispered, "I believe," into the mid-January air spilling through my window. "I believe."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please give me feedback on this. It's only the first out of like 3 prologues. If people will read it, I'll bump it up to the summer.
Toodles my noodles!
~iamanawesometaco