Flick It Off

Flick It Off

---

This is the first time that I will write in third-person POV so please bear with me. ENJOY : ) 

---

Sugar Crush.’

A ten-mile grin stretched across Patrick’s face as he heard the unmistakable sound of candies bursting. He pushed the bridge of his eyeglasses up to his nose while he excitedly clicked the ‘Next’ button. After the first time he played, he was hooked, and he tried it as soon as it was released for the public. As he always says: ‘go with the flow.’ He is an internet geek; he wears eyeglasses but doesn't look like a nerd. Actually, a lot of people said that they look cool on him. He isn't used to compliments, so a simple ‘thank you’ and an awkward smile is what he always gives.

In the midst of his strategic game, a horrible beeping sound suddenly clicked in his ears with a pop-up bringing a terrifying message: "Nine percent power remaining. Please find a power source immediately."

Frustrated and annoyed, he hastily stood up and went upstairs to get the charger, leaving heavy steps as he stomped his way to his bedroom. Once he got what he needed, he went back to his usual place and plugged it to a power source. It could have been perfect, until the lights started to flicker, and then it went off.

Brown-out?” he almost shouted, and then he let out an exasperated sigh. He had enough of his bad day. What’s next? He thought. Frogs will be falling outside? He let out a sigh again, hoping that the lights would turn on any minute now. Unfortunately, they didn't.

He plopped himself on one of the couches at first. But after ten seconds, he stood up and walked back and forth. He’s the type of person who can’t stand a minute of doing nothing. When he got tired, he went to his bedroom and started to clean with a flashlight on the other hand. Ten minutes passed. He sat on one of the couches, feeling the heat, thinking of any possible way to kill time.

While he was having a mini-conversation with his own self, he heard laughter and noises outside, probably children playing. But wait, he lived in an exclusive village, and children often play inside their houses in their own indoor playground. He couldn’t even remember the last time he stayed outside to hang out with friends. Confused, his curiosity led him towards the window. He peeked out and there he saw teens the same age as him having a mini-meeting, some were his childhood friends whom he only talked to during his birthday, while some were new faces.

“Patrick, join us!”  Somebody shouted in the middle of the laughter and giggles.

It was Michelle Maxwell, the richest girl in the village. Her mom was the owner of the subdivision and a well-known businesswoman. He’s a little bit surprised that she called him, because she never had any decent conversation with her, except from the exchange of smiles they had when they were young. She is pretty, but not the type of girl where everyone would turn their heads to. Simplicity was the best word to describe her. She always tied her hair in a neat ponytail with a violet ribbon.

“Hey!” she shouted again. He suddenly shook his head until he came back into reality, then quickly run down the stairs and went outside the house, without even knowing why.

“How are you?” Michelle asked him with an enthusiastic smile, which made him even more surprised.

He remembered that he had crush on her since he was five—until now, he mentally admitted—because of her catchy smile. He would secretly steal glances of her from the front yard. And if the eye has some camera, he would name the photographs “simple dazzling perfections.”  He didn’t have the courage to talk to her, he was one of those people who fear rejection, but still he loved his position of being ‘friend zoned.’