You Belong To Me

She was holding a small box, of what Tyler figures were things he left at Josh's over the years.
    Tyler slowly lifted his arms, which felt like bags of sand, to take the box from Laura's hands.
"Thanks" Tyler avoided eye contact with her. He began to close the door
"Wait!" She immediately shoved a foot through the door.
"Can I please come in?"
       This was the last real place Josh was before the accident. She probably wanted to feel closer to Josh or something.   
Tyler stiffly nodded and hesitantly opened the door, inviting her in.

    Once inside they sat on opposite couches with the coffee table holding an unopened box in front of them.
Josh's mom gestured to the box that Tyler could hardly pry his eyes from. Whatever was in here, was in Josh's house. Tyler wasn't sure if he could deal with it all.
"Open it, he'd want you to have it" their was a crack in her voice.

Tyler sat the box on his lap and slowly opened it.
He froze
These weren't Tyler's belongings, they were Josh's.

Tyler pulled out old vinyl records. Blink 182, Ac/DC , Metallica , sublime. He set them down neatly beside himself.
Next he pulled out Josh's NASA shirt. It was the last thing Josh wore.
     Tyler dryly chuckled remembering all the jokes they had about that shirt, one of them being that Josh would die in that shirt. But it became reality, much more than a joke.
He took the shirt and carefully set it on the arm of the couch.
  Tyler pulled out a few more things, an old lighter, the BlurryFace Nikes, skimasks, broken drumsticks, a House of Heros cd signed by all his old band members, and a zip lock bag full of confetti
There was a date scribbled in Josh's handwriting across the bag. Tyler stared at it till it made sense. It was the date of their first show.
Josh kept the confetti..

Tyler looked up at Laura, forgetting she was there.
"Thank you.." Tyler bit his lip hard, he tasted blood but didn't want to let his emotions take over himself in front of Josh's mom.
"It's no big deal hun, just a small box." She paused "there's more for you when you're ready."

Tyler nodded. He wasn't thanking her for the material things, he was thanking her for his time with Joshua. All the fun they had, all the memories. The material things did remind him of Josh, but he would trade it all for 5 minutes with Josh in a heartbeat.

A hot tear slowly slid down Tyler face, which had a slight smile on it.
"Awe Tyler, don't be upset" she got up and switched couched to be closer to Tyler, she wrapped an arm around him supportively.
Tyler began to sob, he buried his face in Laura's shoulder and just sat there till he could get his breathing under control.
   He sat up, apologizing to her.
"I've got to go now, the boys are home.."
Tyler got up to follow her to the door.
"Oh wait," she said turning around just as she was about to go
She handed Tyler a pocket knife
"Josh wanted me to give this to you"
Tyler took the small green knife. Josh never left home without it, his grandfather gave it to him after he retuned from Vietnam.

"I..I can't accept this" he tried to hand it back to her.
Laura wrapped Tyler's fingers around it and set his hands over his chest.
She lent forward, kissing his forehead and turned to leave.

Tyler shut the door.