KAF: (4)

Who would have thought the very next day would change my life forever. All because of one stupid mistake. You don’t know what hits you, until it really hits you. That is how I would describe that day being like. It was inevitable.

Me, Mishy and L walked to school in the rain, each carrying an umbrella. I don’t understand why some people were bothered by rain. If I had been six years old again, I might have dropped everything and run around, screaming at the top of my lungs. I used to have this foolish notion in my head that whenever it rain, all my troubles would be washed away with it. That's why I liked the rain so much.

“Just because I don’t hang around you in school, doesn’t mean I won’t keep an eye on you,Travis. If you mess this one up, you’ll be sorry you even met me,” L said to me, as we stood in front of the gates.

“I’ll be the second eye. A closer one. The one that can smack him up the side of his head if he doesn’t do it,” interjected Mishy who came to stand beside L with a smile on her face.

Okay, so I was cornered. Frankly, I was left with no choice but to tell four eyes Jang Ji Hwan that I was sorry for dropping her pizza and that I never meant to say those means things to her. I don’t know what gave these two the idea that I was the bad one here? I mean, I was just being myself. There’s nothing wrong with that.

“See you two, later,” L said, taking off in quick strides.

I watched her go off by herself like usual. Sometimes I wanted to tell her that it was fine to have her walk beside me to school. Around school, she would go off on her own and pretended she didn‘t know me. She did that for me. She didn’t have to, but she thought she needed to.

“I wonder how it’s gonna be like once you start swallowing your pride and make L walk beside you to school.”

That came from Mishy who had caught me looking at L wistfully. “It’s not me, it’s her. She doesn’t want to.”

“Because she’s afraid of those idiots talking nonsense about her again. Furthermore, she doesn’t want to ruin your oh-so-great reputation.”

I started walking, hoping Mishy wouldn’t go on about it. I was really starting to get sick and tired of everything around me. Especially all this talk about my reputation. “Give it a rest, Mishy. I’m not in the mood to argue with you.” 

Just when we were about to turn the corner, a car sped by, splashing rain water right onto us.

It was Mishy who got soaked. She dropped her umbrella, along with her jaw. And I could only stand there laughing at her current state.

The car came to an immediate stop and I recognized it to be the same Mercedes that Ashley had rode in the day before. That made me stop laughing completely. 

The window of the car drew down and the bastard bodyguard of Ashley poked his arrogant head out. “Sorry about that!” he called to Mishy who had her back turned to him.

She whipped around angrily. “You son-of-a-b*tch! You just got me soaked!”

He smirked at her. For a moment, I caught him eyeing her in a way that every other guy would. “I’ve realized that. That’s why I chose to apologize a few seconds ago. I guess, I didn‘t say that loud enough for you, huh?”

“Get out of the car now, you bastard!” she commanded tartly.

“I would, but I really have other important matters that I need to attend to. If my apology isn’t enough for you, perhaps we could discuss it later---over dinner?”

That sh*thead. He had just asked my sister out. Mishy would never agree to it!

“Fine!” My sister suddenly agreed.