two

two; THE LAST OF HER

The entire dropship has been vacated by the time Reese was able to regain feeling in her legs and begin moving, a smile spreading across her face when a soft thud emitted from the surface of the ground when her feet touched it for the very first time

Unwilling to close her eyes to even blink, Reese took a deep breath, her smile growing as she inhaled fresh air for the very first time in her life and she gazed around in complete awe as she slowly moved towards the trees feeling all of the leaves and twigs crunching beneath her boots.

It was like nothing she had ever seen before.

She was now surrounded by different shades of green, from lime, to emerald, to jade. The air was fresh and everything around her smelt like nothing she could ever imagine even in her wildest dreams. She could smell the wild flowers that grew feet away from her and she could smell something sweet to her left. It would have been quiet, had it not been for the teenagers running around, screaming and shouting in excitement, chatting loudly, reuniting with friends that they hadn't seen since they had been locked up, climbing the trees, smelling the flowers, exploring their surroundings. Just gazing at everything around them in utter awe.

Her entire life had been surrounded by dull grey panelling, the scent and taste of stale air, and the humming of the engines that was carved into her memory from the very first memory she could ever recall, never once having a moment of quiet or peace, even while sleeping.

That was all gone because aside from the faint chatter of the teenagers running amock for the first time on Earth, with no adult supervision.

The world was quiet.

A breeze brushed across her cheeks and she felt the warmth of the sun on her face for the very first time. He fingers brushed gently across the rough texture of the bark on the trees, memorising the feel of it as though her life depended on it and she let out a loud laugh that was filled with both relief and delight because she wasn't locked up, she was alive, she was free.

"Now, that is something that I never thought I would hear again."

Reese spun around and came face-to-face with her best friend, who looked so incredibly different but so much like the boy she grew up with.

"Bell." She breathed just as she was swept into his muscular arms for the first time since they had danced together almost a year prior to his moment and she beamed widely as she buried her face into his chest, "Thought you'd seen the last of me, hadn't you?"

"I thought you were dead." He mumbled into her hair and she pretended not to notice the way his voice cracked on the last word.

"I'm here." She said quietly, tears pooling in her own eyes, "I'm here."

He nodded and the two reluctantly broke apart but Bellamy remained close to her as they stared at one another.

"How?" He asked hoarsely, "I thought you were dead."