Chapter 3

"Okay, got it

"Okay, got it. Thank you, Doctor," Liam said through the phone before he hung up and turned to look at me. "That was the medical examiner."

"And what does he have to say?" I asked, pushing him to continue.

"Well, she indeed had a miscarriage only a few weeks ago," he replied. "Our murder weapon was definitely a hard object. They say the first blow was the fatal one. It caused severe brain lacerations and hemorrhage, just like you suggested earlier. The unsub inflicted the rest of the injuries postmortem."

I watched as he had made a face as if it had bothered him to admit that I was right. I rolled my eyes at his reaction. "Was there anything else?"

"Well, apparently our guy took his sweet time cleaning the scene, as there were no fingerprints found anywhere. However, they found debris of a blue fabric under her nails, which they believe belongs to the unsub. Unfortunately, no DNA was found, though," he said while maintaining his gaze on the road.

I nodded, even though I wasn't sure he saw me. I moved my head to focus on the outside of my window, and it was dead silence for the rest of the ride. Thoughts trundled in my brain like a through train, with no intention of stopping. Thoughts about my first day at the FBI, the case, and whether my partnership with Liam was going to work out or not.

"This is the address that Mr. Clark gave us." Liam's voice finally put that train of thought to a stop.

He parked the car in front of a two-floor house. We both got out of the car and walked toward the house. Liam rang the doorbell. A man who appeared to be in his mid-forties opened the door. His neatly styled hair was a mix of salt and pepper, and he looked between us with dark eyes full of skepticism.

"Mr. Nick Walden?" Liam began.

"Yes?" he answered in measured tones.

We both got our badges and showed them to him. Skepticism was shortly replaced with an expression that screamed nervousness.

"We're with the FBI. We would like to ask you a few questions," Liam told him.

He looked at us with eyes clouded with evident stress and worry for a few moments before he sighed and gestured to the inside of the house. We got in, and he led us to the living room.

"Sir, did you happen to hear that Allison Clark was found dead today?" Liam spoke up once we were all seated.

His eyes widened in obvious shock, but he covered it quickly. He swallowed hard before he spoke. "Oh god, h—how did that happen? What about Henry? Is he okay?"

"Yes. Mr. Clark is fine," Liam answered in a calm tone.

"Good." He let out a breath of relief that I could tell was fake. He looked at us with a hint of seriousness in his eyes. "But wait, what does that have to do with me?"

"Sir, we found out about the relationship you had with Mrs. Clark," I spoke for the first time since we got here, not intending to sugarcoat anything. I made sure to keep eye contact with him and watch for his reaction.